60GB Photo: full crash - tried restore/diags - cheap parts now?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello,

My first post and I need help. Here's the details. TIA for responding.

iPod Photo 60GB

+++++++++++++++

Purchased last year at MSRP $599. I also bought the AppleCare Protection for $59.

Symptoms

++++++++

The iPod will frequently lock up. There are two PCs that this happens on and it has also happened when using the AV cable hooked up to a TV for a slideshow of photos.

The lockup will freeze the screen. All buttons are disabled and I cannot do a reset using "Menu/Select". I have to wait for the battery to drain, then charge it using the AC adapter and NOT have it connected to a PC. If I try to connect it to a PC to charge it will lock up again when it tried to load it as a device since Enable disk mode is on.

If I have it connected (USB2) to a PC when I boot the PC it will crash the iPod and the PC takes a long time to boot up or do any work. If I disconnect the iPod the PC immediately recovers.

I have gone into the diagnostics "Back/Select" and the Hard Drive and Memory tests all Pass.

I have Reinstalled the System Update software version 1.1 2005-03-23 three times.

I have a 15 GB iPod 3G that can connect to both computers just fine. It also has Disk Mode on.

Questions

+++++++++

I have been told I can take it to an Apple store and get a replacement due to the care package I bought.

My other Mac co-worker who is a die-hard Mac enthusiast said that when Apple dropped the price of the iPod photos and changed the package contents that cheaper parts were also used. He mentioned louder hard drives as well as the aluminum back being not as shiny -- a dull finish.

Does anybody know if there are truths to these statements?

My hardware version is 393216. Can anyone else with a new iPod 60GB confirm they have the same? My friend and I who both bought the 60GB at $599 have that same hardware version. Additionally my hard drive is a Toshiba MK6006GAH with Firmware BY002A

Please advise!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You should really call AppleCare or go to a store. They exchanged my 4G 20GB iPod without asking me anything about the problem. They just gave me a new one.

Try it.