400 GB iMac hdd's: Where can I pick one up to swap in my 1st gen. iMac G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Where can I find the hdd's that Apple uses in the new iMac's to swap out my 160 GB drive?

I guess this second question is, being new to macs, my iMac should accept the drive with no problems, right (assuming I install it correctly)?

The 400 GB is very appealing to me and I know that I can swap it out. It looked like three brass screws and maybe two or three connectors and it is outta there.

I would just CCC my existing setup over to the new one and have it.

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Where can I find the hdd's that Apple uses in the new iMac's to swap out my 160 GB drive?

I guess this second question is, being new to macs, my iMac should accept the drive with no problems, right (assuming I install it correctly)?

The 400 GB is very appealing to me and I know that I can swap it out. It looked like three brass screws and maybe two or three connectors and it is outta there.

I would just CCC my existing setup over to the new one and have it.

TIA

They're just standard SATA drives. Slap one in, boot from your iMac installation disc and format it as Mac OS extended (journaled). Then proceed with the OS install.

How are you planning on using Carbon copy cloner.. I guess you have an external drive that takes SATA drives?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

They're just standard SATA drives. Slap one in, boot from your iMac installation disc and format it as Mac OS extended (journaled). Then proceed with the OS install.

How are you planning on using Carbon copy cloner.. I guess you have an external drive that takes SATA drives?

Here's my plan:

I have an external 300 GB Fire Wire drive that is petitioned into three parts. I have a panther install on one 10.3.6 (15 GB partition), a copy of my iMac before I updated to Tiger, and another that holds a clone of my iBook before Tiger.

I will boot up off my FW basic panther install and clone my iMac, then swap drives.

I will have to format the new drive in my iMac.

Boot off of FW Panther and place the cloned image on the new drive.

Now, to find out where to get a 400 GB SATA hd for my mac. CompUSA only has 300 GB drive.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    <<Now, to find out where to get a 400 GB SATA hd for my mac>>

Check both newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com. Both get consistently high marks as an on-line retailer.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

<<Now, to find out where to get a 400 GB SATA hd for my mac>>

Check both newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com. Both get consistently high marks as an on-line retailer.

NewEgg has 400 GB drives.

Do you happen to know what brand drive Apple uses?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    The 250gig in my G5 iMac is a Maxtor. Don't know if the 400's are the same.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    My 160 GB is a Western Digital.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The only 400GB drives on the market are from Hitachi and Seagate. Most reviews prefer the Seagate.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    400GB hard drive? im getting excited... i have a 250GB hard drive now, but 400 would be nice... ill have to google it to look up a price...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

400GB hard drive? im getting excited... i have a 250GB hard drive now, but 400 would be nice... ill have to google it to look up a price...

$260 - $310

That's not bad for 400 GB. I like Seagate drives, WD is my first choice, but my external FW 300 GB Seagate drives have done well.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    for 400GB, that isnt a bad price i just need a reason now to buy it
  • Reply 11 of 12
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I beleive the 400GB drive is a Seagate Baraccuda 7200.8

AFAIK, this is the only 400GB drive on the market at the moment.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I beleive the 400GB drive is a Seagate Baraccuda 7200.8

AFAIK, this is the only 400GB drive on the market at the moment.

Hitachi has one or two as well. But I am going with the Baraccuda.