Going to univercity this september

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Good Evening

I have been using PC's since i was tiny, first playing games (lion king was a classic) and then moving on to programming in Qbasic at only 9 years old. Anyway to cut the story short, i then went on to study a Computing A-Level, and then at start of my second year of the course i bought a ibook G4 1.2ghz (top of range model at the time) thinkin that i would do, but wouldnt be a replacement to my main computer.

I was extremly wrong, my computer hasnt even had a OS installed for past 3 weeks as i erased the hard drive after windows wouldnt work and i couldnt be bothered reinstalling it. My Ibook G4 is such a dream to use that their is no point denying that its replaced my PC, and my PC was no slouch either, its still a nice spec machines (although its 2 years old). Its got a AMD Athlon 2500 XP overclocked to the speed of 3200, also its got 512mb RAM.

My laptop renders photoshop documents easier and along with realbasic is a great development environment.

I run a webhost (Revoshift.com) and run multiple websites so only problem with my ibook is i have to use a 2nd browser for managing some of the scripts i use.

Anyway I am going to univercity this september and i think a full pc is to big to take to univercity but their are still some PC apps i like to run (Sorry guys but i cant find a replacement for microsoft (sorry for swearing) publisher, or a good replacement for Autograph (tigers grapher comes close but not close enough)). I tried Virtual PC on my ibook but its to sluggish.

So I am thinking of getting a second mac, due to size i feel that a Imac G5 should do nicely, but i need opinions on which model i should buy, also is their a good TV tuner, as i could justify getting the 20inch model if i can use it as a TV as well (otherwise i would need to buy a new TV as well and at univercity i am limited in space)

I bought a ipod because of my mac, not the other way round, so its not just the ipod halo effect, its the apple halo effect.

EDIT: Before i bought a mac i had used a Powermac G3 and Powermac G4 but only briefly when at college taster days, and to be honest i hated them the first time i used them, i was to used to windows and they were using OS 9, I believe with OS X apple got it just right, (although according to my computing computer "its only an operating system it only does the same as windows" which is rubbish, OS X rocks

Jonathan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I have a 1.5 pBook and a 1.8 iMac .... VPC doesn't run any faster on the iMac than it does on the pBook. If that's all you really wanted, just keep the book.

As for TV ... with the iMac, you'll need an external box ... something like these products...

http://www.elgato.com/matrix/index.php

they have products in several price ranges, and there are other brands as well.

With a POWERMac (not iMac) you can get PCI TV cards .... but the computer costs $1000+ more

price-wise ... youd be better off just buying a cheap TV.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Are their any tv cards (external ones for imac) that support Freeview (UK digital teresteral tv)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Your site has a really cool banner design. What is that thing?

--B
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Moderator note: I like a good grammar flame as well as the next guy, but he was polite in his post and I can't let the flames stay. Sorry.

-JL
  • Reply 5 of 8
    glublickglublick Posts: 16member
    I realise this is nothing short of heresy, but surely the best OS to run windows apps is...er... windows! How about getting a cheap(ish) laptop for your MS apps? Also there are PCMCIA tuner cards available for your TV problem but no idea how good they are.... just a suggestion!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    regreg Posts: 832member
    There are 2 TV tuner units that I was looking into, EL Gato EyeTV 200 and Miglia EvolutionTV. Both are more than just a TV tuner and are in the $300 dollar range. Combining either of these with an iMac would make for great college setup. Computer, TV, PVR and analog to digital converter all in a small foot print. Boy things change. When I was in college 30 years ago all we wanted was a stereo and a calculator.

reg
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cdoverlawcdoverlaw Posts: 73member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Your site has a really cool banner design. What is that thing?

--B

its not realy got a name :P, just a random photoshop thing :P

Also i would like to avoid windows as much as possible, my uptime of my ibook is 16days so far (since i installed tiger its not been shut down), im lucky if my windows pc has a uptime of more than 8 hours (i wont be taking my windows pc to univercity due to the high ammount of space it takes up)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cdoverlawcdoverlaw Posts: 73member
    im dislexic so what do you expect :P, good thing about being dyslexic is the extra university grant i might be able to get to buy myself a new computer (probably an iMac, j'deteste windows)

I just bought the coolest gadget, its a computer crash counter, you press a button every time the computer crashes and it records your number of crashes and the date you started the count on, ill see how many crashes i get over the next month on the windows machine :P (i estimate 40-50)

Jonathan

Ibook uptime now 17 days 8 hours 51 minutes