S.M.A.R.T. status.....help with changing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am getting a "S.M.A.R.T. status failing" warning (I know--gulp--what this means), and wonder if anyone has experienced this before.

I posted another thread on this (great!) site and received some timely advice re: my wonky hard drive, so I ended up using Firewire as a slave drive to a friend's G5, thus saving all of my data (hooray), reinstalling system software again and again (it kept dying), finally learning how to make a bootable disk, upon which I installed Diskwarrior and Onyx.

Question: anticipating the death of my harddrive, I used the bootable disk to run Diskwarrior and try to rebuild my bad blocks, etc. but it wouldn't complete a rebuild, saying that harddrive's death was imminent and that I should back up all data (already done). Should I therefore just buy a new drive now, or wait for it do die? (I've been told that the S.M.A.R.T. status warning is not always accurate) Can I have a drive from my old 500 G3 ibook transplanted to my current 800 g4 ibook in order to save some money?

My ibook is no longer under warranty so I'll have to pay for the replacement........but for the time being my ibook is working like a dream, and all vital data has been backed up.

thanks for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keane16

I am getting a "S.M.A.R.T. status failing" warning (I know--gulp--what this means), and wonder if anyone has experienced this before.

I posted another thread on this (great!) site and received some timely advice re: my wonky hard drive, so I ended up using Firewire as a slave drive to a friend's G5, thus saving all of my data (hooray), reinstalling system software again and again (it kept dying), finally learning how to make a bootable disk, upon which I installed Diskwarrior and Onyx.

Question: anticipating the death of my harddrive, I used the bootable disk to run Diskwarrior and try to rebuild my bad blocks, etc. but it wouldn't complete a rebuild, saying that harddrive's death was imminent and that I should back up all data (already done). Should I therefore just buy a new drive now, or wait for it do die? (I've been told that the S.M.A.R.T. status warning is not always accurate) Can I have a drive from my old 500 G3 ibook transplanted to my current 800 g4 ibook in order to save some money?

My ibook is no longer under warranty so I'll have to pay for the replacement........but for the time being my ibook is working like a dream, and all vital data has been backed up.

thanks for any help!

sorry bud, glad you saved your data. but it's now time to say your last goodbyes and for your hard disk drive to make it's peace with the great big spinning platter in the sky...

move on now, so that you will be more productive, and you won't do something important that you might forget to backup... and unless you like to continue reinstalling and reinstalling, the time has come my friend, let your old hard disk go in peace

you should get a new 2.5" laptop drive for your G4 ibook that way you don't have to buy a whole new computer
  • Reply 2 of 2
    keane16keane16 Posts: 7member
    thanks for your help, sunilraman............

Can I have a drive from my old 500 G3 ibook transplanted to my current 800 g4 ibook in order to save some money?

is this possible? anybody..........??