What is the best 5 button mouse?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I currently have a wired Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer circa 2001. Unfortunately, it has fallen from the gallows one too many times and is starting to go dead every once in a while. So I'm in the market for a new mouse.

I love the 5 buttons. I want another 5 button mouse, and I should be able to configure the buttons on a per application basis. What is the best 5 button mouse on the market today? Should I go with another Intellimouse? How is the Kensington PilotMouse Optical Pro? What is the equivalent Logitech model?

Oh, yeah, I don't need a wireless version. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Logitech MX510 is pretty damn good and probably close to what you are looking for.

I've had MX700 and MX310 and never installed any drivers, so I can't say about configuring the buttons.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Logitech MX510 is pretty damn good and probably close to what you are looking for.

I've had MX700 and MX310 and never installed any drivers, so I can't say about configuring the buttons.

Two Words - USB Overdrive.

http://www.usboverdrive.com
  • Reply 3 of 9
    berthosberthos Posts: 10member
    I use a Kensington Optical Elite model #72121

The mouse works pretty well. In some applications the scroll wheel (which is also a button) doesn't scroll so well. Buttons can be set per application - this is great. I use a button (the scroll wheel in fact) to open links in a new tab behind the current one in Camino for example.

I find however the mouse is a bit big and high. The buttons on the side don't seem to be easy to push in that they don't fall under my hand in a great place - this is especially so for the right hand side button.

If you can find one that is more compact and more ergonomic than this mouse it would be better IMHO.

I would love a 5 button mouse with scroll wheel that has the same shape and size of the standard Apple mouse.

Cheers,

Berthos.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    if you're a gamer, get the Logitech 518.

On the fly, driver-less DPI switching. Go from hyper fast movement to a low DPI for sniping.

Also possibly useful for designers when needing to do precision work..

info

PS It has more than 5 buttons (6 usable ones, plus the 2 DPI switching ones)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hodog16hodog16 Posts: 16member
    I also have an original Microsoft Intellimouse explorer that's amazingly still working 6 or so years later.

I've used the newer version of the Intellimouse explorer and it works well, and also has side scrolling. You can get a new one for pretty cheap from ebay or online retailers if you shop around.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    How long have you had the new version? I was all set to get the new Intellimouse until I read the reviews on Amazon noting the problems with the left button. Have you experienced that at all?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally posted by Hodog16

I also have an original Microsoft Intellimouse explorer that's amazingly still working 6 or so years later.

I've used the newer version of the Intellimouse explorer and it works well, and also has side scrolling. You can get a new one for pretty cheap from ebay or online retailers if you shop around.

• Reply 7 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

if you're a gamer, get the Logitech 518.

On the fly, driver-less DPI switching. Go from hyper fast movement to a low DPI for sniping.

Are the DPI adjustment buttons right next to the scroll wheel? What settings can you choose from there without drivers?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I just got my MX518 in today and I'm pretty happy with the hardware performance. It's quick, light, and feels as good as a mouse of its size can. They're going for around $40 a pop through buy.com (saw it on Dealmac).

Funny that everybody is jumping from an old Microsoft optical recently. They held up pretty good for the last few years. Tiger dialoged me stating that it shut off the USB port the mouse was on due to a weird voltage, so I decided to chuck it.

I'm looking into USB Overdrive as we speak (thanks for the mention) since the two machines I tested the new mouse on had problems with the Mac OS X Logitech driver. After installation, it wouldn't allow me to click anywhere in the system. Running it driver-less has been fine though and the "precision" buttons (ahead and behind of the scroll wheel) effecting the tracking speed still work.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Are the DPI adjustment buttons right next to the scroll wheel? What settings can you choose from there without drivers?

Check out that link I sent.

The + button is north of the scroll. The - is south.

Default is 1600dpi, 800dpi, then 400dpi. Click, click, click...

I dunno how you can change the settings without PC software, maybe it's possible with the Mac Logitech drivers. Je ne sais pas.