iPod explode

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

The iPod didn't survive the washing machine so this bloke tried to open it with his screwdriver. The iPod didn't realy explode, but made some damage. I Would say it's his own fault.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?oneclick=true

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The moral of the story: Check your pants pockets.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    whiterabbitwhiterabbit Posts: 208member
    I wonder what it was that exploded in the first place. If they are not lying, then the only possible thing would be some kind of chemical reaction with water/or the detergent.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

I wonder what it was that exploded in the first place. If they are not lying, then the only possible thing would be some kind of chemical reaction with water/or the detergent.

He pierced the Lithium ion battery with a screwdriver. Unlike normal Lithium ion batteries like you get in mobile phones, the one in the iPod has no hard case as wasn't designed to be manipulated by the user.

Potassium is dangerous enough in water. I presume that Lithium which is two places above in the periodic table, could react with the moisture in the air. Hence the explosion.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

Potassium is dangerous enough in water. I presume that Lithium which is two places above in the periodic table, could react with the moisture in the air. Hence the explosion.

Yep pretty much. This is the same reason some mobile phones and laptops have exploded or cooked people too.

As an aside in my uni chemistry days I was in a lab when someone accidentally decided to dispose of sodium by throwing it into the sink. That was pretty amusing if you like explosions. Also things are actually more explosive down the periodic table.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Also things are actually more explosive down the periodic table.

Indeed, thanks for correcting me. I'm successfully removing my chemistry A-Level from my mind.

At least this iPod owner didn't earn himself a Darwin Award.