No Software Base Station for OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to an <a href="http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%3D1884%26a%3D18459,00.asp&quot; target="_blank">eWeek article</a>, Apple may not develop a Software Base Base Station for OS X. A standalone Base Station is obviously more elegant, but also more expensive.

I think that would be a serious shortcoming of AirPort on OS X, but can see that Apple would want to sell more Base Stations. I bet the profit margin on the APBS has improved drastically over the last 3 years, but it's still priced at $300. I wish I were an Apple shareholder instead of an Apple customer.

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    That's definately a mistake. I plan to buy a Base Station sometime in the future, but I just don't have the money for it right now. I would really like a software base station in OS X because I have two computers already that both have AirPort cards (AirPort at work) and I would love to be able to use it at home too.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    According to Maccentral, they're still working on it... and there are workarounds on VersionTracker
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>... and there are workarounds on VersionTracker</strong><hr></blockquote>

just checked versiontracker and didn't find any "workarounds"... did I miss something?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>According to Maccentral, they're still working on it... and there are workarounds on VersionTracker</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nebrie: Could you please provide deep URLs?

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    So if there's no Software Basestation support, what's the "Create Network..." option do? Is it just for file sharing?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    FYI: There's a <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=002236"; target="_blank">thread at MacNN</a> that gives links to the 3rd party solutions for running a software base station in OS X. You need to use the terminal.

Escher