How can I go about making use of the 3d card ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have this brand new happy tiger and core image and for the most part core image is great as a filter tool.. But what of 3d ? It is all on the cg card right ? So where is the 3d aspect of it ????

How can I tinker with the 3d shaders and stuff in tiger ? Any apps laying about that I dont know of ???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, fiddle with Grapher, which is found in your Applications/Utilities folder. From the Examples menu, choose any one of those 3D ones for some trippy fun. (or, write your own equations, but I suck at math )

Also, you can download some game demos at sites like MacGameFiles.

If you have the Developer Tools installed, try Quartz Composer, which lets you code your own screensavers and the like.

EDIT: I just tried some Quartz Composer, I'll have to spend some more time with this.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Well, fiddle with Grapher, which is found in your Applications/Utilities folder. From the Examples menu, choose any one of those 3D ones for some trippy fun. (or, write your own equations, but I suck at math )

Also, you can download some game demos at sites like MacGameFiles.

If you have the Developer Tools installed, try Quartz Composer, which lets you code your own screensavers and the like.

EDIT: I just tried some Quartz Composer, I'll have to spend some more time with this.

Dude that Quartz Composer app takes a thesis in brain warpping to use.. It looks sweet but GA what the hell it is a mess in plugs and crappp Aw apple whathappened to your ease of use method
  • Reply 3 of 4
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tripdragon

Dude that Quartz Composer app takes a thesis in brain warpping to use.. It looks sweet but GA what the hell it is a mess in plugs and crappp Aw apple whathappened to your ease of use method

QuartzComposer is a developer example, and is not intended to be a main-stream app. All of the Core units are for developer use. An end user should not have anything to do with them directly and should only experience them through an application. You are also totally misunderstanding what CoreGraphics and CoreVideo do in asking "where is the 3d". It uses the graphics hardware to accelerate 2d drawing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    you can play with OpenGL stuff, Tiger and newer video cards are supposed to have better openGL support, eg... play with screensavers and other stuff by GioFX. eg. itunes visualisations.

nice fun

http://www.giofx.net/osx/