Best Buy

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Which one do you think is a better value: Mac Mini or eMac?

For the Mac Mini I'll need to also get a USB hub along with a new keyboard mouse set since its all USB, whereas I won't need to purchase anything for the eMac.

I'm not a power user. Will only be using Mac for internet, itunes, movies, word processing etc. Not a lot of video editing/graphics.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

Which one do you think is a better value: Mac Mini or eMac?

For the Mac Mini I'll need to also get a USB hub along with a new keyboard mouse set since its all USB, whereas I won't need to purchase anything for the eMac.

I'm not a power user. Will only be using Mac for internet, itunes, movies, word processing etc. Not a lot of video editing/graphics.

Thanks

For $300 more you get a bigger hard drive, a 17" CRT, mouse and keyboard, and a Radeon 9600 video chip. The mini has a 9200 chip which isn't able to be used as much to accelerate the video in Tiger.

Of all those, the only thing really worth it is the Radeon, as you can't change that after you buy. The 9600 can use Quartz 2-D extreme, but most users in this forum can't see a difference.

So if you don't care about the increase in display speed that MIGHT be coming as the OS is tuned for the 9600-type chip, there isn't any drawback to the mini, as you can add RAM, hard drive and monitor.