Maybe Apple has the Op chip

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was thinking it's possible that Apple has the op chip,which would be equivalent in speed to a 15 to 30 ghz silicon chip.If they do that would be a spectacular announcement.Whatever they have I can't imagine that its just some faster G4 or iMac,or even the G5,which would be great,but I would consider it to be revolutionary,to be revolutionary something has to have the capability of changing the way you live.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    It was my impression practical consumer applications of optical computing were many years down the road.

That is, of course, assuming you were talking about optical computing?

However, a speed jump that big would be quite signicant.

.: Michael
  • Reply 2 of 8
    A speed bump that large would undoubtedly be quashed by the DOD before it was ever announced to the masses.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    I am talking about optical computing.I remember a couple of years ago when the first op chip was made,which ran at 100 gigaflops,they had said that it would be about two to three years before they would be seen in consumer devices.The big problem was that it was made of plastics that were semiliquid at room temperature and they weren't sure what the long time stability of the chip was.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]

A speed bump that large would undoubtedly be quashed by the DOD before it was ever announced to the masses.

<hr></blockquote>

Interesting you say that,because I think it already has been.When the op chip was first announced it generated a lot of press and then quietly disappeared soon after it was announced that the military would begin using it within six months.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Rick1138 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I've herad of 10ghz optical chip clusters doing things for scientist at universities

But optical proccessing? isn't that big and expensive?

Oh and why would apple have an optical processor? They dont' design this stuff or build it . Thats why motorola and IBM is around and why we have thsi whole mhz and g4 g3 probs

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: O and A ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    That's why it would be a surprise announcement.Apple would have the op chip because it's fast.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>It ain't ready for prime time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And a half. Optical chips for communication purposes are around, but they don't process data. Non-linear optics is a fun area, and fast, but they are'nt making processors just yet. A typical switch may be 1 cm long, although very narrow, of course, because we are using single mode waveguides. There are ways of making them smaller but chips with more than a few gates don't exist yet. Gigaflops! no, GigaHertz, possibly but very simple circuits.

If you want, I can show you a design for a circuit operating at 140GHz, problem is, it only contains 6 transistors. (And has a tendency to shatter when you look at it).

Michael