Non-Apple Powerbook Batteries

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

So, apparently my PB12's battery is /supposed/ to turn to mush after 18 months. I'm slightly annoyed by this, but the bottom line is I need a new battery.

What are peoples' thoughts about 3rd party batteries? For example, NuPower makes some that are supposedly "13% higher capacity" for a bit higher cost. Are there any other 3rd party batteries that you would recommend, or do you guys think that's just a horrible idea?

(Meanwhile I'm this close to cracking my current battery open and seeing if it has standard-sized cells inside and replacing them myself...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    albertoalberto Posts: 71member
    I had bought from OWC a battery for my Pismo and works great!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Use XBattery to know if your battery is wearing out; there's no need to rely on superstition.

I have a NuPower in my TiBook. It works. The capacity is not as high as advertised, but it's still higher than Apple's battery.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jethro1138jethro1138 Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Use XBattery to know if your battery is wearing out; there's no need to rely on superstition.

*grins* If I pull the AC out now, the menubar thinggie says there's 30 minutes left, and it will shut the machine down after that time. The battery doens't last much more than 30 minutes, no matter what app I use to check it...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Well there you go. Buy a new battery.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jethro1138jethro1138 Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Well there you go. Buy a new battery.

Just ordered a NuPower one. Thanks for your help!

(BTW, I did run XBattery just to see what it does, and the graphs showing my battery's degredation are quite clear. "Oh look, 12v, 12v, 12v, 12v, 0!")