simple question about the shuffle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Iam planning to buy a shuffle, my question is what type (format) of music does it support, does it support real player and windows media player music or just apple software replated music. Will i be able to download my real player and windows media player songs onto the shuffle directly or will i need to covert it to a certain format before downloading them onto the shiffle?

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    mp3 for sure, and i think the one apple uses is aac. but you won't be able to use windows media or real or sony
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    According to the Tech Specs page on Apple's Web site:

Quote:

MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store, M4A, M4B, M4P), Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4) and WAV

• Reply 3 of 7
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I used to have a ton of WMA files (cd rips) and I converted them with easyWMA to MP3. Its a shareware program that works great. Send the author a few bucks, he'll appreciate it. It works with Tiger and Panther.

http://www.carrafix.com/EasyWMA/

I used automator to write a script to search for all WMA files, convert them to WMA and import them into iTunes...fast, easy and neat.

And I also use a shuffle every day, best player I've owned. So light, perfect for the gym and simple to use. You're making a good choice.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I've got both an iPod photo and an iPod shuffle - they're both brilliant. The Windows version of iTunes will convert WMA but other than that what was mentioned above.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Can't you just drag a WMA file into iTunes and it will convert it. I'm pretty sure I've done this. Can't see why I should pay for that feature if its already in iTunes.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macrules101

Can't you just drag a WMA file into iTunes and it will convert it. I'm pretty sure I've done this. Can't see why I should pay for that feature if its already in iTunes.

Only in Windows.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macrules101

You don't need to pay for anything with shareware or freeware but I personally think that if someone saves me an hour work its good karma to send a thank you. My life was improved with the time savings. Your results may vary.