The HD Revolution begins!! New HDV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sony announces Sub $2k HDV camera

Quote:

In an aggressive move, Sony has just announced the under $2,000 High Definition HDR-HC1 HDV camcorder through a simultaneous worldwide release. The new 1 chip CMOS camcorder is Sony's second consumer HD camcorder announcement, and drops the entry price for consumer HD much lower than any previous camcorder. The HDR-HC1 is also unique because it uses a CMOS chip for capturing the image, instead of CCD chips which have been standard in every digital camcorder for the past eight years. The HDR-HC1 includes a 3 Megapixel CMOS chip which records 1080 lines of interlaced HDV video, a 10x optical zoom, a hybrid focus / zoom ring and a widescreen 2.7 in. LCD

Wow Sony is a big manufacturer of CCD. I'm shocked to see them go CMOS here. Must be cheaper in the long run to get an oversized CMOS processor and then crop it for 16 by 9. This is good news to me. I expect to see HDV cameras selling for $1200 in 18-24 months. I'll be going HD far sooner than I though! Steve was right. All those nasty things I said about him ...I take back :P

Cecille B Demille...I'm coming

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    This is great.

I was getting ready to buy the DCR-PC1000 which, as a Sony employee, I can get for $980 plus tax, but , damn, I think I'll hold out and see what the discount will be on the HC1.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

This is great.

I was getting ready to buy the DCR-PC1000 which, as a Sony employee, I can get for $980 plus tax, but , damn, I think I'll hold out and see what the discount will be on the HC1.

I didn't know you were a Sony employee that's pretty cool. The HC1 is only 1.5lbs. That's amazing.

Eventually I'll grab an HDV camera and

http://www.clamcamvideo.com/images/merlin.jpg for smooth shots.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Yeah, Sony is very good to their employees.

I think the FX-1 is about $2800, but it's just a bit big to drag around on a family outing.

I'm very excited about the HC-1 - perfect size and great price.

I just wonder it it'll be available before I go on my family reunion the second week of July.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i'm gonna be an elitist snob here

i'm after the new 3CCD panasonic that does DVCPro HD instead of HDV compression when acquiring pictures...

and i ain't touching interlaced no matter what. give me 1280x720p for now

a latest panasonic also shoots 1280x720 60p

that means when you convert it to 24p, that's about 2x TRUE SLOW MOTION like film

*sigh* it's like $5k though...

hey... the steadicam merlin is really cool
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The Merlin looks pretty nice. What's a price quote on it?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The Merlin looks pretty nice. What's a price quote on it?

Ughhhhhhhh $900 MSRP. I hope "street" is lower on this. Though it'd be nice to have a real Steadicam and I saw Garret Brown showing it off at NAB 2005 and it definitely works. I'd better start hitting the dumbbells though..you'll need stamina in your arms and shoulders to master this thing.

Sunil...love the Panny despite the $$$$$$ for the P2 cards. It's not the best looking cam but the specs are nice.

Cake I hope you get the HC1..I'd love to read your opinion on it. We sell Sony Handycam where I work so I could probably fetch a nice price for it from our rep depending on availability but I'm not really in the market for a new cam ..need a damn G5 first.

Hey did you guys know that with DVD Studio Pro you can burn SD and HD content on Red Laser discs? The same disc that is thus you could burn a short edited video on a standard DVD-R disc in SD that would playback on a standard DVD and HD which would playback on a HD-DVD player. I think this is really cool. I'm beginning to think Microsoft jumped the gun by forgoing on putting HD-DVD in the Xbox 360. There's only going to be a 6 month difference between the Xbox and PS3. Imagine if Microsoft added HD support with VC-1 in their next version of Movie Maker. They could have then had the files playable on the Xbox 360 hooked up to the TV. Microsoft has missed out on the HD Revolution..again. What a gaffe.

Canon's late to the party like they always are. The need to get the GL3 HDV(rumored) and an Optura HDV model into the market. It's kind of strange. I distinctly remember Sharp being an HDV licensee and now I can't find anything on Sharp HDV cameras that isn't really old. They must have bowed out.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

....Sunil...love the Panny despite the $$$$$$ for the P2 cards. It's not the best looking cam but the specs are nice. ....

yeah what's up with the design? its definitely too big to hold and shoot camcorder style, but too small to shoot news-camera-on-shoulder style

just seems like a weird feel for handheld shooting, and a bit akward for tripod *sigh* anyway it's probably film school or lots of saving up for me before i can even *think* about shooting HD. i'll keep tabs and talk it up on the forums till the time is right...