Can't upgrade Education Version to Final Cut Studio!?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I bought the education version of Production Suite.. I assumed I would be able to upgrade to the next version but according to this on the apple site:



"What products qualify for the Final Cut Studio upgrade?

You may upgrade to Final Cut Studio from the retail version of either Final Cut Pro or Production Suite. Upgrade from any version of Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Studio for $699. If you already own Production Suite, you can upgrade to Final Cut Studio for $499. Educational and Not-for-resale (NFR) versions do not qualify for upgrades."



So I can not upgrade to the retail version? Is this really true? or do they just have to say this? I wish I new this when I bought the educational version from the apple webstore...



I am also upgrading my Adobe CS education version to CS 2 (standard) Does adobe have the same policy? The education store where I bought it from said it should be fine to upgrade...



thanks guys

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    it will cost you $499 to upgrade. i called and talked to apple for a while about this. it's even worse for me because i bought each app separately so i can't upgrade from the production suite. $499 is still a steal for these apps, though (as I've said before) i think this year's apps aren't worth upgrading to over last year's.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Thanks for the quick response.. in that case I just might go ahead and order the upgrade version but I would like to hear from someone that actually upgraded to the retail version and was able to register and all that..



    By the way here is a quote from the same page about purchasing separate apps and upgrading:



    "Can I upgrade to Final Cut Studio for $499 if I purchased all of the individual applications separately?

    Yes. If you purchased Final Cut Pro HD, DVD Studio Pro 3 and Motion separately, you qualify for the upgrade."



    These quotes are from the following FAQ page on Apples website:



    Final Cut Studio FAQ
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Producer

    By the way here is a quote from the same page about purchasing separate apps and upgrading:



    "Can I upgrade to Final Cut Studio for $499 if I purchased all of the individual applications separately?

    Yes. If you purchased Final Cut Pro HD, DVD Studio Pro 3 and Motion separately, you qualify for the upgrade."



    These quotes are from the following FAQ page on Apples website:



    Final Cut Studio FAQ




    time to call apple to tomorrow and tell then how stupid they are. thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    but read above it clearly states we can't upgrade because we have the education version..







    Hopefully it is just the same speil they use so people buy the family packs of os X even though you can technically install the single user version on more than one computer
  • Reply 5 of 11
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,590member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    it will cost you $499 to upgrade. i called and talked to apple for a while about this. it's even worse for me because i bought each app separately so i can't upgrade from the production suite. $499 is still a steal for these apps, though (as I've said before) i think this year's apps aren't worth upgrading to over last year's.



    I dont' have motion but have thought about getting it. I am not sure how much I would use it.



    $499 for the upgrade is a steal for sure.



    Don't you think the DVD SP option to encode across the network to other macs on the network is worth it?



    Do you think they will let FCP HD 4.5 users upgrade to the next version (whatever is after 5) if we decide to take a pass on this one?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aplnub

    Don't you think the DVD SP option to encode across the network to other macs on the network is worth it?



    Do you think they will let FCP HD 4.5 users upgrade to the next version (whatever is after 5) if we decide to take a pass on this one?




    1. i have a dual 2.5 Ghz G5, so rendering isn't too big of a deal, and i also do my big encodes before the files touch dvdsp.



    2. yes
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'm kinda surprised by this. usually, companies like adobe figure that you'll save a ton on buying an educational license, but over the long haul, you'll eventually buy the pro upgrades, because you'd be paying less for each upgrade. when you're on the educational side of the fence, there are no "upgrades," per se... you buy the whole thing over again. admittedly, at a low price, but not as low as a commercial upgrade. so there is an implied pressure to get off the educational line and into the pro lines when it's economically feasible. but adobe DOES allow you to upgrade to the pro lines from the educational ones. i mean, eventually, you have to figure they WANT the students to eventually graduate and become well-paid users of their software.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Quote:

    you have to figure they WANT the students to eventually graduate and become well-paid users of their software.



    Yes but Apple cannot contain that incessant desire for cupidity. The actually raised the price for edu from a "Well I could save a bit $499" to a "Jesus man I have tuition and books to pay for $699"



    Keep in mind that students routinely get the latest Office and Windows and other productivity MS apps for $15 per app. Apple looks positively out of their minds in education. $699 for an app I can't upgrade??? You gotta be mad.



    Hopefully when the time comes my school will order me a copy at the $499 pricing or at least charge me less than $200 for the app. I'm pretty disappointed in Apple. Freakin Softimage XSI is $295 for a $4k software program. Maya is $680 for a $8k app. Apple has once again lost touch with reality.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Keep in mind that students routinely get the latest Office and Windows and other productivity MS apps for $15 per app. Apple looks positively out of their minds in education. $699 for an app I can't upgrade??? You gotta be mad.



    yeah, i was really tempted by this pricing (work at a university, wife is a professor, too, so i am totally legit edu buyer), but now i need more of an excuse than "personal training." of course, i know if i got one job using the studio, it would pay for itself in a day, but i can't accept any work for it until i know it better, which means i need to buy it... hmmmm. i guess that's what final cut express is for.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Yes but Apple cannot contain that incessant desire for cupidity. The actually raised the price for edu from a "Well I could save a bit $499" to a "Jesus man I have tuition and books to pay for $699"



    I too was dissapointed by this. As a student $499 is hard enough.



    When I was a student I started to put money into Edu software, but then realized that my money was just being thrown down the drain. So, like every other student in the world, I resorted to piracy. And before you say anything about it, I did go legal when I graduated. Its just not worth spending money on non full version software that you cant upgrade.



    Think about it. Schools have to buy educational licenses for their labs. Students can then use the labs, but if they want to use it on their personal computers they must but their own educational version. BUT, the software is subject to the same restrictions that the school's versions are IE no upgrades, cant use it to make money, etc. A lot of people dont realize this. They think they are getting the full version at a reduced cost. NOT TRUE. The only thing good you can do with educational softwrae is to build your portfolio, which ultimately you could do on a lab computer. So why pay for it? Its not like Apple or Adobe or Alias, etc are loosing money, if you didnt pirate it you would just use it on a lab computer anyway (this is not the same issue as music or movie piracy since the product IS available to you, its simply a matter of convenience not to have to go to a lab).



    In this sense, you have to admit, Microsoft has a one up on most other software companies. They understand what I have just mentioned is comptletely true and so they have set up flexible academic licencing for schools and students (for instance $15 for MS Office).



    Just My 2¢
  • Reply 11 of 11
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    By the way, piracy is using software without obtaining a license.



    According to all software licenses, if you break any part of the agreement the license is terminated.



    What this means is that if you use educational software to do freelance work, you are pirating it.



    A lot of people dont realize this, but then again how many people do you think acutally read a license agreement?



    Almost none...
Sign In or Register to comment.