very slow connection ibook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my ibook g4 .9 is very slow. my ibook and dell are both on airport. ibook tests at 124kbs dell 2800kbs. did disk utility and rebooted no change. what am i missing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

my ibook g4 .9 is very slow. my ibook and dell are both on airport. ibook tests at 124kbs dell 2800kbs. did disk utility and rebooted no change. what am i missing?

UPDATE

sometimes my wifes ibook drops it's airport signal, my dell is fine. then after a reboot the airport signal is back and can connect.

am i having airport card problems
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    what router are you using?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

what router are you using?

ibook g4 .9 1.256ram

airport snow dual ethernet

about 2-3 months ago i added a 1gb ram card, on apple ibook discussion "airport drops connection after 1gb upgrad" he suggested the airport 4.1 upgrade ( i thought it was only for airport extreme so i never updated) so i did 2 days ago and at least my airport connection dosen't suddenly drop and require a reboot and the connection speed is more consistent with my dell near 2900kbs

the other issues with "slow" seem to come from the safari browser, at least that's what my wife thinks (it's her ibook--she rarley shares ha ha). it's worse with ebay, maybe it's a cache thing with all those pictures, or a hardware issue--g4 .9 not sure. maybe i need to reset cache and other suggestions on the "genius" bar opening help subject. i added firefox my wife hates the beachball.

any other suggestions?? maybe the airport 4.1 update for those that added 1gb ram should be added to the genius bar help discussion

maybe the genius bar needs to do a concise "when my ibook slows" post apple should fix this someway, maybe 10.4 does but i'm waiting for most bugs to be fixed