Can Two User Accounts Share The Same iTunes Music Library?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi All,

I just set up a friends Mac, and created two users. Because of permission issues, I haven't been able to allow both of them access to the same music libray.

Any suggestions?

thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Move it to a shared folder or alter the permissions.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    i agree.. if they're in a shared directory/folder then they should be able to reach them easily...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    From the way you worded your question it sounds like two people have an account each and you would like them to be able to have access to one library so they can listen to each others music as if it is one library. If this is correct then I have a solution that will create a library for each/every user, but will provide the benefits of one library. The steps are:

1 - Select the folder immediately under their home folder that is the top-most folder of their music folder. If the user's path is Home/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music then select 'Music'

2 - Right/control-click and select 'Get Info'

3 - Expand 'Ownership & Permissions'

4 - Expand 'Details'

5 - Change the 'Others' permission from 'No Access' to 'Read only'

6 - Click the 'Apply to enclosed items...' button.

7 - Close the window.

8 - When a user wants to add their own music (CDs or iTunes Music Store purchases) to their library, go to Preferences->Advanced and check 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to folder'. When a user wants to add another user's music to their library, go to Preferences->Advanced and uncheck 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to folder'.

There is a way to actually have everyone's music in one place, but then you run the risk of other users deleting your music. The steps I listed above gives users the security of keeping all their music in their own home folder.