advice on new desktop for college

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out two things. First, whether or not I should spend $200 to upgrade my Blue and White G3 or I should just get a mini. Why would one or the other be better? Also, if I do upgrade the Blue and White, the best deals I've seen so far are $185 for a 700mhz G4 or $220 for a 1ghz G3..which of those are a better deal? Thanks!

p.s. I might upgrade the blue and white anyway if I get a powerbook, but because of money reasons, would only be able to go for a mac mini instead of upgrading (if it's even worth it) if I get an ibook..depends on what the next batch of ibooks come with.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out two things. First, whether or not I should spend $200 to upgrade my Blue and White G3 or I should just get a mini. Why would one or the other be better? Also, if I do upgrade the Blue and White, the best deals I've seen so far are $185 for a 700mhz G4 or $220 for a 1ghz G3..which of those are a better deal? Thanks!

p.s. I might upgrade the blue and white anyway if I get a powerbook, but because of money reasons, would only be able to go for a mac mini instead of upgrading (if it's even worth it) if I get an ibook..depends on what the next batch of ibooks come with.

Get a laptop, you will make your life infinitely easier for college, going from building to building, city to city, who knows where your life may go, and it is much easier to have one slab of machine you can take anywhere with you. Forget about upgrading a BW G3, you might as well invest it in an entirely new machine,
  • Reply 2 of 15
    opinion ?

I'd go with the mini .... you've already got the monitor, keyboard, mouse .... so YOU can really get a computer for the advertised price

It's guaranteed to be more "compatible" than a 3rd party upgrade card, it's compact, it's fast (compared to a G3). And it comes with "legal" versions of all the latest iLife stuff...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    what about expandability? a mini isn't as expandable as the B&W. Also, is a 12" advisable for college? I like the idea of a widescreen 15" powerbook (if budget allows) but i'm wondering if it might become too heavy and bothersome to carry around...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I got a 15 widescreen PowerBook a few weeks ago, and find that it's the right balance between portability and screen size. Sure, it's note quite as compact as the 12" PowerBook, but it is substantially smaller and lighter than most 15 widescreen PC laptops, and weighs in at just 2.5 KG, including batteries.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Get a laptop, you will make your life infinitely easier for college, going from building to building, city to city, who knows where your life may go, and it is much easier to have one slab of machine you can take anywhere with you. Forget about upgrading a BW G3, you might as well invest it in an entirely new machine,

i agree... and thats also what im doing when i leave for college. im going to buy a new laptop... i have a G4 PB now from my brother and the iMac desktop... but i want a laptop that'll last me the time at college, so im buying a brand new machine next year when i leave.... so i'd suggest the laptop.. which ever you prefer and rather spend on... knowing me and personal preference, ill prolly end up w/ a PB
  • Reply 6 of 15
    inakainaka Posts: 29member
    Get the mini and sell your blue/white G3 on eBay or locally to make up some of the difference. Makes the most sense to me.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    matt31matt31 Posts: 14member
    Hello

I agree, a Powerbook is going to be the best option for college. You are going to find it very handy. It is nice to do home work at the library or at the coffee shop.

What to buy? that will deped of you budget and the major.

Matt
  • Reply 8 of 15
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

what about expandability? a mini isn't as expandable as the B&W. Also, is a 12" advisable for college? I like the idea of a widescreen 15" powerbook (if budget allows) but i'm wondering if it might become too heavy and bothersome to carry around...

PowerBook G45 is perfect - at home I have an external keyboard, mouse and stand and then when on the move I have a portable computer - a 1.5GHz PowerBook 15" would scream compared to that old G3.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

PowerBook G45 is perfect - at home I have an external keyboard, mouse and stand and then when on the move I have a portable computer - a 1.5GHz PowerBook 15" would scream compared to that old G3.

PowerBook G45's...at WWDC (2034)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    No PowerBook G45s will come out before the G5 - it's halfway there 48-bit!

typo
  • Reply 11 of 15
    yeah, the hard drive in my g3 700mhz ibook is on its last legs so i'll probably sell it and the B&W and get a mini...and ask for a 15" powerbook...just unsure if I should wait to see what goodies wwdc brings...and the ibook update that should be here oh, about...now!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    If you insist on assuming there will be PowerBook or iBook updates at WWDC, at least PLEASE DON'T BE DISAPPOINTED IF THERE ARE NONE! I'm absolutely sick and tired of people assuming there will be updates on a specific event, and than being disappointed afterwards.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    yeah, i'm not too concerned if there aren't but it would at least be nice to know how the new ibooks stack up against the powerbooks because wwdc or not, those are overdue an update..but if nothing happens by early june, i'm springin for the powerbook
  • Reply 14 of 15
    iBooks are expecting an update soon as Think Secret, AppleInsider and other rumour sites have reported. Where as PowerBook hasn't had any rumours recently from any reliable sources - IBM are oddly quiet so they could be planning something. BUT if you ask me we'll see an iBook update in the next few months - the GPU and RAM need updates. PowerBook will be after August - maybe by Apple|expo - but I expect MWSF
  • Reply 15 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Don't expect new iBooks until mid to late summer or BEFORE WWDC. WWDC is not the kind of show in which the iBook would be updated.

Now Powerbooks, maybe. Seeing as though they got some fancy new features not too long ago, I wouldn't count on them too much.

I agree that a laptop is the way to go for college. The smaller the better. Just be sure you can keep it secure. Buy a laptop lock and get a case that can be locked. Set up all the passwords you can on your machine to protect your personal information and all your data.