De Fragment for Macs?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok my friend just told me how to de frag a PC. I did it for my old PC and it did wonders. I would like to it for my Mac as well. Is there a de frag? What is it called? How do I use it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Just Say No to Defrag (on OS X)

-With apologoies to Nancy Reagan

Search says...:earlier thread
  • Reply 2 of 17
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    On a Mac there is a section of the HD - with the quickest response used for files less than 100MB that are used frequently. OS X would therefore suffer from de-fragmenting. Also OS X defrags automatically.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    But, if you wanted to do it, Norton Utilities includes a program called speeddisk, that will do it for you.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    And OS X will promptly operate on 6 of 8 cylinders whenever it has to touch the disk. That will go on for a couple weeks until the hot zone sorts itself out. That is if Norton doesn't hose the show.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    BUT, if you wanted to do it, Norton Utilities has a program called speeddisk that will do it for you.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    and that program called Norton will probably do other things for you, like bork your filesystem....

• Reply 7 of 17
    SO in short, DON'T defrag your Mac!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    BUT...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by tomj

BUT...

don't
  • Reply 10 of 17
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    MS's next OS upgrade, Longhorn, also includes auto defragging.

No there are no settings and no you can't turn it on or off.

It the FS that requires/causes the defragging.

Both HFS+ and UFS are auto defragged by the OS. If you write to an NTFS or DOS partition then this will need to be defragged as well (even if its on OS X).

Dobby.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    seems like a "huurrrrr how dew i DEFRAG my Macz HD cuz u can do it in windoze??/?" thread pops up like clockwork on any mac related forum site. even if you've only spent a month here at appleinsider you know this is true. what's the deal with that? i'm getting tired of the "auto defragging" on OSX not being common knowledge.

• Reply 12 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

seems like a "huurrrrr how dew i DEFRAG my Macz HD cuz u can do it in windoze??/?" thread pops up like clockwork on any mac related forum site. even if you've only spent a month here at appleinsider you know this is true. what's the deal with that? i'm getting tired of the "auto defragging" on OSX not being common knowledge.

It means that there are more and more people who are coming from Windows to the Mac. It's a good thing.

"OMG USE TEH SEARCH N00B" deleted. I'm getting tired of the "don't tell people to search" rule not being common knowledge.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It means that there are more and more people who are coming from Windows to the Mac. It's a good thing.

"OMG USE TEH SEARCH N00B" deleted. I'm getting tired of the "don't tell people to search" rule not being common knowledge.

well said
  • Reply 14 of 17
    you've got a nice big e-penis there lundy, glad you whipped it out for all of us to see. just trying to help keep this place clean.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

you've got a nice big e-penis there lundy, glad you whipped it out for all of us to see. just trying to help keep this place clean.

oh dear
  • Reply 16 of 17
    keeping it clean eh?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    i could've used a better word than clean...one without so many contexts