Why Is It? (Such Incompatibilities)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
You know... I really do love Apple. I would never got back. Over the week I've screwed with Linux and Windows ( - been screwing with that for years) and there are just some things I don't understand... but realize why.

At home there is Windows and my Mac. No one bothers my mac, it's like my car - since it's a stick - no one wants to borrow/use it. But there are some things that I have to let the family down with:

1) Wireless network refuses to work if there is a WEP password/key. All of the Windows XP boxes at home will do just fine connecting to it for (hopefully) a little security but mine does not. No matter what I try, I enter the password like I enter it in all the windows boxes but it doesn't let me connect. As soon as I turn the home network into an open network (meaning anyone can connect) I finally get my connection. But I don't want to have to sacrifice the security of my parents visiting their bank accounts online just so that I can do so.
  • What is the best way to set up a safe wireless internet?

2) Printer sharing connected to my computer only lets the Windows print a black and white copy without the duplex printing, photo printing or whatever... and they have to come and connect themselves to the printer if they what photo quality, duplexed, or color printing.

3) Since I am a pack-rat, I want to make sure I have plenty of space on my hard drive. So (If you have noticed around the forum I have asked the best way to do this): I created a file server running on XP. It works; I connect via SMB:// command and it works okay for sending/storing my iTunes library and playlists, and photos form iPhoto.
  • But I am just damned tired of anything but Macs now. I know how much of a breeze it can be to have an old Apple desktop and cram some hard drives in there, install OS X Panther (Or in the case, Tiger) and have a great network, hassle free. (By the way, how do mac connect to each other over an ethernet connection? Do they appear in the networks panel with the server/disk images? Do they automatically appear on the desktop? Could replies also offer a screen shot of the setup?)

So, I also ask these question:

How easy is it to set up Macs on a connection to the Airport Base Station?
  • Can I plug my printer in there and they all can use all of the defined qualities of the printer? (Duplex printing, color, and photo qualities) - BTW: Currently my printer is just a USB printer, no server or anything.

• Can I have a secured connection this way with the Airport Extreme Wireless cards? I would imagine so since all of the computer would be running the same OS (OS X), and that always seems to be a plus.

What desktop box (I'm thinking like G4 or G3 Powermacs) would work well for an installation of OS X on it? (IF it doesn't have it already) I could just cram it with hard drives (Also, about how many hard drives could fit in the Powermac)? I could use this for a Fileserver of all of my macs I might have, allowing one place for iTunes music, iPhoto libraries, Backups, and other "Music Studio Fileserver" applications. Do I need a dual processor just for file storing? About how much do these older Powermacs run?

I understand why some computer environments clash, and I am not asking for a resolution to this - in fact I'm giving in to Apple - but I hope that you don't find great offense in my rant here, and I hope that you could offer some suggestions for my puzzlement.

P.S. I don't want to bother with Bonjour for Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 585member
    I had a similar problem connecting with Airport Extreme to a D-Link WiFi router with WPA Security. What you have to do is open the Internet Connect application, and under the AirPort section there's a popup menu beside NETWORK. Choose OTHER, and there you can choose the type of encryption you need.

If you try to set up the AirPort connection elsewhere (like with the Network Setup Assistant) it seems to default to an open network and therefore the password won't work.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I have problems connecting in the OS X set-up screen but once Apple let me specify that the code is a 128-bit HEX it works fine - i'm using a Netgear Router.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I had the same networking issue but quickly stumbled upon the option to choose the type of wireless encryption.

Wouldn't it be nice for OS X to try each with the specified password and then remember which one is the right one?

... off to apple's feedback page i go.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    david101david101 Posts: 73member
    you say you enter the password/key in exactly the same way as you do on the windows machine, but if you are entering a hex key then you need to preceed the key with a dollar sign ($) when you enter it on the mac.

I'm sure you realise this, but it's the first thing that springs to my mind.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

you say you enter the password/key in exactly the same way as you do on the windows machine, but if you are entering a hex key then you need to preceed the key with a dollar sign ($) when you enter it on the mac.

I'm sure you realise this, but it's the first thing that springs to my mind.

I've never done this I just tell the Mac it's a 128-bit HEX and enter it exactly the same.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Wireless network refuses to work if there is a WEP password/key.

I had the same problem and wasn't happy having an unprotected network, however I did find the solution. I have a G4 with Mac OS 10.3 that I use as the base station to share my internet connection with a friend's PC running XP.

One would think using the same password for both Mac and PC would be the logical thing to do, not so. Turns out the Mac uses ASCII Equivalent Password and the PC uses Hex Equivalent Password.

Example for a 128bit WEP networks password

(Use the quotes in the password exactly as shown for the Mac)

Password for Mac: "fffffffffffff"

That's 13 fs within quotes

PC: 66666666666666666666666666

That's 26 6s

Click here for a step by step instructions
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

One would think using the same password for both Mac and PC would be the logical thing to do, not so. Turns out the Mac uses ASCII Equivalent Password and the PC uses Hex Equivalent Password.

My D-link Wireless-G router lets me specify to use an ASCII or Hex password, so I never had that problem.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

My D-link Wireless-G router lets me specify to use an ASCII or Hex password, so I never had that problem.

my netgear gives me the option but I chose WEP because Windows supports that one best. I had no problems on the Mac and no dollar sign was needed.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

my netgear gives me the option but I chose WEP because Windows supports that one best. I had no problems on the Mac and no dollar sign was needed.

I set it to WPA because, after some 'net research, I found out it was supposedly the most secure. While my mac works with it, I don't have a PC to try it out on.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Um, ASCII or HEX key has nothing to do with whether it's WEP or WPA. I have a Linksys that only supports WEP, and I have the option of entering ASCII key or HEX key. I don't think that the list of options when you are asked for your key is router-dependent... It could be though, I guess.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

Um, ASCII or HEX key has nothing to do with whether it's WEP or WPA. I have a Linksys that only supports WEP, and I have the option of entering ASCII key or HEX key. I don't think that the list of options when you are asked for your key is router-dependent... It could be though, I guess.

Sorry but what is the difference between WEP and WPA?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Sorry but what is the difference between WEP and WPA?

Some info here on WPA vs. WEP:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...wi-roam11.html
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    just get the rest of your family to Switch to macs.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

just get the rest of your family to Switch to macs.

Ha, I already brought that up, even after they said they wanted an inexpensive new computer without all of the hassle. My mom could care less because all she uses the computer for is filling out tax forms from Tax Cut and checking email/surfing. None the less, she's not good with computers and has to relearn how to work the software every time they come out with an outlook etc.

Dad said he wouldn't mind; and even had me teach him some of the windows equivalents, but he needed a way to program .NET since he's learning that and some other languages for work. He has some sort of software that he uses to log into his network at work, along with software for the .NET that I doubt would work on the mac. Maybe XCode has it... I never looked into it that much though.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Ha, I already brought that up, even after they said they wanted an inexpensive new computer without all of the hassle. My mom could care less because all she uses the computer for is filling out tax forms from Tax Cut and checking email/surfing. None the less, she's not good with computers and has to relearn how to work the software every time they come out with an outlook etc.

Dad said he wouldn't mind; and even had me teach him some of the windows equivalents, but he needed a way to program .NET since he's learning that and some other languages for work. He has some sort of software that he uses to log into his network at work, along with software for the .NET that I doubt would work on the mac. Maybe XCode has it... I never looked into it that much though.

hmm i think dreamweaver mx 2004 pro has some decent .NET scripting support if he's doing more on web apps- middleware- kind of stuff ?? i'm not shure though... \

i haven't touched ASP or .NET in 3 years now... (thank GAWD (too lazy to do 'real' programming nowadays )