So, downloading your brain into a computer isnt proposterous anymore?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/05/23/brain.download/

Interesting. Now, wouldnt my brain on a computer simply be another copy of it. I mean, my original would still work and there would be another working. It would be a copy and pasted Matt. Troubling. I die and my computer brain lives on (well, as long as it is not powered by windows...) The process would need to entail a transfer of conciousness in dimishing the original medium and steadily building the next to avoid all that business of copies.

It reminds me of Star Trek. A transporter copies the person, destroys the original person and makes a new copy elsewhere. Hmmm, then that person is not reallly the same.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Max Headroom was a visionary. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 19
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/05/23/brain.download/

Interesting. Now, wouldnt my brain on a computer simply be another copy of it. I mean, my original would still work and there would be another working. It would be a copy and pasted Matt. Troubling. I die and my computer brain lives on (well, as long as it is not powered by windows...) The process would need to entail a transfer of conciousness in dimishing the original medium and steadily building the next to avoid all that business of copies.

It reminds me of Star Trek. A transporter copies the person, destroys the original person and makes a new copy elsewhere. Hmmm, then that person is not reallly the same.

Thoughts?

I was under the impression that star trek transporter technology didn't 'destroy' the person, rather, converted them into energy, beamed the energy to a location, then unconverted them. Eitherway, transporters are absurd

That said, I for one, wouldn't mind downloading my brain into a computer, assuming I could have a robot body. With like... laser eyes and stuff.

I must say though, that article is pretty hilarious. You can just imagine a scientist sitting around and hearing about a game system bein X powerful and thinking "brain downloads!"

That said, If we could successfully copy our brains into a computer matrix thingamajig, would it necessarily destroy our current brains, or would it be a duplicate copy. The latter would create some interesting setups, cyber cloning and stuff. Would your computer brain advance beyond your human brain, and would you be able to later upload that better brain into you? There are lots of fun sci-fi scenarios with this stuff
  • Reply 3 of 19
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Will I be able to do this while living in the moon colonies that were founded back in 1985?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Only if you use the tachyon hookups to facilitate the time shifting communications.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Only if you use the tachyon hookups to facilitate the time shifting communications.

I think I can modify this phaser to set off an inverted pulse emission, if we can polarize the sub-tachyon link we might have a chance.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    The technology for doing this has been around for years. People are more stupid then we give them credit for. Take George Bush for one... he could download his brain into an Atari.

Me personally? I'd opt for something sexy like a SegaCD.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Ah, the button mashing brain... now with vibrashock mode.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i stopped reading the article when they brought the playstation 3 into the story. let's compare the brain to computers, not devices people play grand theft auto on.

and if you consider playstation 3 a computer, then you better not be buying one (sorry, i have a slight grudge against consoles)
  • Reply 9 of 19
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

The technology for doing this has been around for years. People are more stupid then we give them credit for. Take George Bush for one... he could download his brain into an Atari.

Me personally? I'd opt for something sexy like a SegaCD.

yes, just read this over at geek.com , what nobody realises is that if you can download a brain, you might be able to upload a brain.

The problem arises when it's not your brain they upload, and is infact a right-wing conformist brain, don't ask questions of the government and don't think for yourself. We supply your thoughts.

I'd make a joke about the technology being already available and in good supply, but that would be very cheap
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Republicanism is what happens if your cyber brain gets a virus.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

yes, just read this over at geek.com , what nobody realises is that if you can download a brain, you might be able to upload a brain.

The problem arises when it's not your brain they upload, and is infact a right-wing conformist brain, don't ask questions of the government and don't think for yourself. We supply your thoughts.

I'd make a joke about the technology being already available and in good supply, but that would be very cheap

I think I've met some people with Super Mario for brains. \
  • Reply 12 of 19
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Maybe there will be a 3 Ghz chip for the Power Macs by the time he is ready to download brains.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I think this thing would really screw up the human race. If you download your brain into a computer, hackers could change your brain and then when you uploaded your brain back into your head, you would have different memories and you would act different! That's scary!!!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Why do liberals have to be so hateful all the time? Aren't you supposed to be the ones who accept everyone?who agrees with you? Hypocrites!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Why do liberals have to be so hateful all the time? Aren't you supposed to be the ones who accept everyone?who agrees with you? Hypocrites!

blink blink. What? blink blink.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

blink blink. What? blink blink.

I don't claim to be nice. I'm a mean-spirited Republican. Remember?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Who in his sane mind believes the brain is the mind of an individual? Huh?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

I don't claim to be nice. I'm a mean-spirited Republican. Remember?

I was saying 'what' as in 'what the hell crack are you smoking?' What are you referring to? This is your first post in this thread?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

I was saying 'what' as in 'what the hell crack are you smoking?' What are you referring to? This is your first post in this thread?

I'm replying to both of your posts.

Quote:

People are more stupid then we give them credit for. Take George Bush for one... he could download his brain into an Atari.

&

Quote:

Republicanism is what happens if your cyber brain gets a virus.