5th Generation iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When is this coming out? I don't mean an exact date, but when do you think it will be released? A month/Fall/Winter/Next Year? I just need to know if it is worth waiting to get one or if I should get a new iPod now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd say the earliest is this fall right before the holiday season. I suppose there's a possibility of them being released this summer before school starts, but I really only predict an update to the 4th generation then.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Ok well Im guessing that the improvements will be big enough that I should just wait? I heard that the new iPods might be something like a flash drive that has no movable parts, however I heard that the transfer on the new hard disc is slow so they are trying to fix it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

Ok well Im guessing that the improvements will be big enough that I should just wait? I heard that the new iPods might be something like a flash drive that has no movable parts, however I heard that the transfer on the new hard disc is slow so they are trying to fix it.

There is a flash iPod it is called the iPod shuffle and has no moving parts! The large iPods will not be flash for many many years, as 30gb in flash memory would cost a ridiculous amount of money.

The 5th gen iPod will still have a hard disc, and will not be much (if at all smaller than just now) because of limits in the size of drives.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

There is a flash iPod it is called the iPod shuffle and has no moving parts! The large iPods will not be flash for many many years, as 30gb in flash memory would cost a ridiculous amount of money.

The 5th gen iPod will still have a hard disc, and will not be much (if at all smaller than just now) because of limits in the size of drives.

don't be so sure... maybe the 4 GB hard drive in the mini could be replaced with one of these flash drives. Ultra long battery life, smaller size. Could be very cool. Yes I know the projected cost of these things is very high, but economies of scale, refinement of the technology, and competition as other manufacturers roll out their own versions ought to bring the cost down quickly.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Sure, we might start seeing it in the minis a bit earlier, but I stick by my earlier comments that it is still a long way away for full size iPods- flash prices have a long way to drop before we can expect a flash 30Gb iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    isnt the ipod photo that is available now considered 5th generation? meaning, would they just update this when they update the regular 4th generation ones in the summer, but not release a new one when they release the 5th generation regular ones?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

isnt the ipod photo that is available now considered 5th generation? meaning, would they just update this when they update the regular 4th generation ones in the summer, but not release a new one when they release the 5th generation regular ones?

Depends on your view I suppose, but I consider the photo to be a 4th gen - it is a spin off of the 4th gen - it is basically the same design. What I expect to see is that all large iPods become iPod photos - colour screens across the range, hopefully some time towards the end of the Summer. That keeps things neat and tidy, with the whole range getting a new, (still uniform) look. I'll call that new product a 5th gen iPod, call it what you like.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    i dunno when exactly the 5th generation ipod is coming out... however, i hope that its somewhere around a mini like one, but i havnt too much on the subject, so im just kind of predicting.. although itll prolly be more or less like the bigger models, 20, 30GB, ect b/c they recently came out w/ the 6GB mini...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I really honestly think an "iPod video" will be the dawn of the 5th generation. I've been thinking about this, and I can see the potential to have an iPod that acts like an iPod photo, but you can watch videos on ANY TV by plugging the iPod into it. You can preview videos on the iPod's screen, but the real magic comes when you plug it into another appliance.

If you get enough music videos on your iPod video and plug it into a TV at a party, you've got a hip music mix with visuals. If you have a song in your playlist without video then the album art will display on screen.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I really honestly think an "iPod video" will be the dawn of the 5th generation. I've been thinking about this, and I can see the potential to have an iPod that acts like an iPod photo, but you can watch videos on ANY TV by plugging the iPod into it. You can preview videos on the iPod's screen, but the real magic comes when you plug it into another appliance.

If you get enough music videos on your iPod video and plug it into a TV at a party, you've got a hip music mix with visuals. If you have a song in your playlist without video then the album art will display on screen.

you know... that would be pretty neat... just sit in class and watch music videos but i can see that being spiffy... but in order to download the videos to it, i'd suspect you would have to pay for the video, just like itunes has it for their songs only i'd imagine a video costing more... but if your me, and have videos then its ok...

nifty idea
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

As far as I know, none of the iPods have moveable parts. Aren't they what is called 'solid state' players? Nothing comes off..... nothing is detachable. My first iPod (1st Gen) had a scroll wheel and that did move, but in general, nothing moves.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by sungoddess

As far as I know, none of the iPods have moveable parts. Aren't they what is called 'solid state' players? Nothing comes off..... nothing is detachable. My first iPod (1st Gen) had a scroll wheel and that did move, but in general, nothing moves.

The iPods all have moveable parts, except the shuffle. The distinction between solid state and moving parts refers to the hard drive - solid state is thought to be more reliable because you can drop a memory chip without doing any real damage, whereas if you drop a hard disk, you risk damaging it because hard disks are made up of lots of little bits - disk platter, the head etc. So the large iPods and iPod minis are not solid state. Hope that makes sense.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Yep... that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification.