Internet slow in G5 iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My girlfriend?s family?s computer (G5 iMac) is extremely slow when it comes to things dealing with the Internet. The iMac takes a seriously long time to even display a single webpage.

The iMac along with the rest of the Macs in the house share a cable line, but for whatever reason this Mac is the only one that is slow on the Internet. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Is it plugged in via ethernet or is it on Airport?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

Is it plugged in via ethernet or is it on Airport?

Ethernet.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by malebolgia

Ethernet.

Is AirPort turned on?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

The iMac along with the rest of the Macs in the house share a cable line, but for whatever reason this Mac is the only one that is slow on the Internet. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

What do you mean when you say it is slow? It is a perception thing or it does download really slowly than the others? You can figure this out quite easily: while the other Macs do not use the internet connection (so the whole bandwidth is available to iMac), launch the terminal and start a big download using the command wget . For example

wget http://www.macupdate.com/download.php/8564/MacOSXUpdate10.3.9.dmg

The command wget will report live the percentage downloaded and the bit rate (KB/s).

Do the same with the other Macs, having each time only the Mac under test downloading from the internet. See what wget gives as bit rate.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Is AirPort turned on?

Nope.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    is the Imac further away from the router than the other machines? how long is the cable? also try a different cable..
  • Reply 7 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I'd suspect the cable also.

But it could be some processor-hogging thing, or a proxy set accidently.

It is a router connection, right? Not just hubs.

We can take a look at your network settings - copy and paste the Apple System Profiler "Network" pane if you want (Apple Menu->About This Mac->More Info->Network).

EDIT: Forgot I was on a no-upload site.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

I'd suspect the cable also.

But it could be some processor-hogging thing, or a proxy set accidently.

It is a router connection, right? Not just hubs.

We can take a look at your network settings - copy and paste the Apple System Profiler "Network" pane if you want (Apple Menu->About This Mac->More Info->Network).

EDIT: Forgot I was on a no-upload site.

I can post it on my website (I'll have my girlfriend send me it).
  • Reply 9 of 16
    slow? my iMac G5 is fine with the internet... theres moments when itll be slow, but theres numerous reasons why that could be happening... i have cable, and when a lot of users are on at one time, it gets slower, but usually its fine...

what kind of modem are you using?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

slow? my iMac G5 is fine with the internet... theres moments when itll be slow, but theres numerous reasons why that could be happening... i have cable, and when a lot of users are on at one time, it gets slower, but usually its fine...

what kind of modem are you using?

Default Comcast Cable modem (don't know much more than that).
  • Reply 11 of 16
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Try using something other than safari.

I have a DP 2.5 and safari, even the tiger version, runs like absolute and total crap.

firefox is better in just about every way, and does not have that problem.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Default Comcast Cable modem (don't know much more than that).

got the same thing, comcast cable... do you have a router(fire wall)? dumb question w/ cable modems i know... anyways.. if you do, try rebooting the router; simply by unplugging it from the power supply, wait about 30sec, more or less, then plug it back in...

i know when my internet becomes slow and ichat doesnt connect or something around that nature, its the firewall... good luck...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

What do you mean when you say it is slow? It is a perception thing or it does download really slowly than the others? You can figure this out quite easily: while the other Macs do not use the internet connection (so the whole bandwidth is available to iMac), launch the terminal and start a big download using the command wget .

I don't believe that wget ships with OS X. I have always had to compile it myself, or grab it from DarwinPorts or Fink. curl is default on OS X installs since 10.2 at least (I dunno if it was in 10.0 or 10.1, but probably was). Using this command he can test it without needing to install wget:

Code:

curl -O http://www.macupdate.com/download.ph...date10.3.9.dmg

Edit: Just thought of this

Make sure that the ethernet cable is plugged all the way in and not damaged anywhere. I know that I get 'no route to host' errors to my home server when the ethernet cord is hanging out of the port on the router (the 'clip' thing on top has been long broken off on that cable so it doesn't hold secure in the port).

Reseting the router through powering off is a good idea though too. My Linksys router has the wireless go down ever once in a while... where all the transfers over it (even to computers on the internal ethernet ports) are limited to 30kB/s... until I reset the router, then it's fine.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

I don't believe that wget ships with OS X. I have always had to compile it myself, or grab it from DarwinPorts or Fink.

Ooops, you are right. I installed it a long time ago and forgot about that in the meantime.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Turned out it was a DNS problem from when Comcast updated their network a couple months back. It still had the old configuration and that's what was slowing it down. Thanks for the help guys.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    What is the IP address to get the configure page of a Motorola / comcast modem?