Video Card Upgrade Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Dual 1.25 GHz G4 MDD and would like to upgrade the stock vi card (Radeon 9000 Pro AGP 64Meg) to a better offering from ATI (or Nvidia). I've looked at both the ATI and Nvidia sites and am even more confused than I was before I started this quest.

Can anyone make a recommendation? I am looking to get a better processor than the 9000. MacMall has the 9800 pro and SE cards in their shop but the ATI site says they are compatible with the G5 only while the specs at MacMall say any Mag with 2x or 4x AGP and a current version of OS X.

Generally I default to the manufacturers site, but in this case I am not sure. The only higher level card offered at the ATI site specifically listed as for a G4 machine is the 9000 Pro with 128 meg (at 130 bucks) or the 9200 Pro (PCI) also with 128 megs (also at 130 bucks).

Meanwhile at MacMall they have a couple of 9800's at 128 megs (200 bucks) and 256 megs (255 bucks).

Has anyone put one of the higher end cards into their MDD and made it work properly? I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks for a card I can't use.

Also, does anyone know of Nvidia cards that exceed performance of the Radeon 9000 Pro and are available? All I see at their site for Mac is the ginormous two slot card to drive the 30" monitor for 500 bucks, and I don't need that (not that I could use it anyway).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hit up ebay for a Radeon 9800, nvidia drivers are ass. They made the 9800 for the G4, its got 128MB and they dont make it anymore. but, ebay will definetly have them.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

hit up ebay for a Radeon 9800, nvidia drivers are ass. They made the 9800 for the G4, its got 128MB and they dont make it anymore. but, ebay will definetly have them.

They still sell the G4 version of the 9800. You can still ebay for the best prices but if you want it new, you can get it here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%2...ies/100435050/