setting up two mutually sharing users in os x?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hey all,

q here about setting up two users to serve two distinct purposes under os x. i have a single powerbook that i use for

1) general pc duties; email, net, the odd game etc.

2) more importantly a music production set up; logic pro 7.

what i want to have is two user logins, one for each purpose, but with the only real difference being the preferences for the dock/finder/startup items etc. otherwise i want all files to be available easily across both users. what i don't know is how to best do this.

should i move all my users' files in the "root" (not strictly root, i know) macintosh hd folder? will this allow both logins to be able to access them easily and equally? i am a bit ignorant when it comes to os x permissions, i have been randomly fiddling with them. would moving them to a mutually accesible location solve this?

security between users is not an issue as i am the only user of the machine.

hope y'all can help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

hey all,

q here about setting up two users to serve two distinct purposes under os x. i have a single powerbook that i use for

1) general pc duties; email, net, the odd game etc.

2) more importantly a music production set up; logic pro 7.

what i want to have is two user logins, one for each purpose, but with the only real difference being the preferences for the dock/finder/startup items etc. otherwise i want all files to be available easily across both users. what i don't know is how to best do this.

should i move all my users' files in the "root" (not strictly root, i know) macintosh hd folder? will this allow both logins to be able to access them easily and equally? i am a bit ignorant when it comes to os x permissions, i have been randomly fiddling with them. would moving them to a mutually accesible location solve this?

security between users is not an issue as i am the only user of the machine.

hope y'all can help!

You don't need to move users. Install your apps in the root-level Applications folder. Assuming your users are user1 and user2, turn filesharing on for both users. Setup user1 with the user2 account as a startup item. Setup user2 with user1 account as a startup item.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    The easiest way is just to keep all your documents in the Shared folder. Go into your hard drive -> Users folder -> Shared folder. Everything you put in there will be available for all users.

For things like iTunes, you'll have to tell it to keep the library in that Shared folder, so that both users can access it. iPhoto is probably the same (haven't messed with it much).

Applications should simply be installed in the regular Applications folder.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:

Setup user1 with the user2 account as a startup item. Setup user2 with user1 account as a startup item. [/B]

this is intriguing! how does one do this?