How to edit DVD's

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to edit the DVD's that I make using my home DVD recorder. I want to record movies off cable TV and then edit out the commercials. Can I do this? I'm guessing I'll have to transfer the recorded DVD to my HardDrive and then us iDVD to edit out the commercials. Do I need other software in addition or in place of iLife Apps?

If there is tutorial or book on this somewhere please point me in the direction. I'm a total newbie to this DVD stuff.

Thanks,

Doug

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Douglas Holley

I want to edit the DVD's that I make using my home DVD recorder. I want to record movies off cable TV and then edit out the commercials. Can I do this? I'm guessing I'll have to transfer the recorded DVD to my HardDrive and then us iDVD to edit out the commercials. Do I need other software in addition or in place of iLife Apps?

If there is tutorial or book on this somewhere please point me in the direction. I'm a total newbie to this DVD stuff.

Thanks,

Doug

A good place to start would be VideoHelp.com or Doom9.org. Though they are more Windows oriented, there is some Mac help there.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    It's going to be a pain, but you can do it.

You're going to have to rip the DVD using mactheripper, then convert it to MPEG.. MPEG2 would be best but if you can't find any software to edit mpeg 2 (quicktime/ilife doesn't do it) then you'll have to convert to Mpeg4 or DV.

Regardless, use OpenShiiva or something like it. I've never got it to work quite right but if you're persistant enough you can do it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Check out http://www.railheaddesign.com/ Click on Various. Then download

DVD Authoring Experience Archive . He spent a week doing what you are asking. It is a good read and will answer most of the questions you will have.

reg