First time Mac user with question...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just received my iMac G5 yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. I have been a PC user my whole life (I'm 28, so it's going to take some time to get use to the navigation. My question is this...I put a cd in the superdrive, and played it for about 30 minutes tops. When I ejected the disc, I found that the disc was extremely hot. It wasn't just warm like I am used to from other drives, this disc was damned hot.

Is this something I should be worried about? Is this normal for an iMac G5? Any replies are much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    It should not get extremely hot. Could you estimate roughly how hot it was?

Also, if it was a CD that was being read all the time (like music), it would get a bit hotter than some other CD with less access to it.

Congrats on the iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    It was a music CD that I was playing continuously for about 30 minutes. And yes, it was extremely hot. I was actually looking at the disc to see if there was possibly any damage. I will try some more discs (different types) tonight to see if I get the same result. I guess I just wanted to find out from you veterans whether or not this was normal. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    yep .... they get WAY hotter than most tray-loading drives ...i guess just because they are a more compact design, so less airflow through the drive.

I've never had any disc problems from it though ... the powerbooks are the samae way.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Why are you making multiple threads for the same qustion (Current Hardware/Genius Bar)?

Shouldn't be a problem with the temperature.