Garageband

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey guys.. I was wondering how an iMac G4 800 mhz with around 768 MB ram would handle a simultaneous multitrack recording in Garageband? I'm thinking about recording around 8 tracks. My friend and I were planning on plugging in a Firepod and running inputs from a mixer at a live worship set. That way, we could record all the vocals and instruments as separate tracks simultaneously in Garageband. Anyone have any ideas how this would run?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    i dunno exactly how would it would run. but if it were me, i'd give it a shot.... good luck
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lowb-inglowb-ing Posts: 98member
    The processor should handle it just fine with that amount of RAM. The limiting factor will be the speed of your HD.

Simply try it at home first to see if it works. If it doesn't, try turning down the bitrate or sampling frequency. I seem to remember that GB can record at either 16 or 24 bits at either 44.1 or 48 KHz.

You could break it all down like this:

-Effects and virtual instruments(soft synths) are limited mostly by processor speed and RAM.

-Audio recording and playback is limited mostly by HD speed. The number of simultaneous tracks isn't the only factor here. The higher the bitrate/sampling frequency of said tracks, the faster the HD needs to be.