a consumer CAD solution?

zozo
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking to do what probably thousands of people want to do.. make a digital copy of my apartment/house.

I'd like to just take angled pictures of my apartment and give it some basic measurements and then let the program do the rest based on the picture's information.

I remember there was a software package (from Kai? or the Bryce people?) that could be fed 2D images and it would convert the thing to 3D on the fly, with some minimal input. Whatever became of that (this was around 1998-1999).

I'm also in the "unfortunate" position where I live in a 300+ year old building and there is hardly a perfectly straight wall.

I looked at VectorWorks for a few minutes at a friend's studio, but that seemed a bit too advanced still to just make a floor plan (and eventual 3D).

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    maybe this is not what you want, but it's still genius and deserves a post:

http://www.sketchup.com/
  • Reply 2 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    wow... pretty cool app. Small and seemingly friendly enough.

Will go through the tutorial to figure out the basics...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

wow... pretty cool app. Small and seemingly friendly enough.

Will go through the tutorial to figure out the basics...

I saw Steve himself demonstrated it at macworld Paris two years ago. It has evolved a lot since them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    really? I dont remember that bit.. and I was there too...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think Phil Sciller demo'd it another time, actually, but I could be wrong. Anyhoo, there are far cheaper, more spartan but decent 2D CAD and 3D modelers out there. Lemke, makers of Graphic Converter, also make CADintosh. There's High Design, and MicroSpot makes MacDraft, MacDraft PE (cheap version) and Interiors.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Lol. This is something I've worked pretty heavily on.

But for the quick and dirty solution I suggest just using OmniGraffle and put together a color-coded birds-eye view. It worked for me and was easy as cake.