The DRM Lockdown is Coming

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How long because Apple becomes part of the conspiracy?

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...id=155&tid=137

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    gf10gf10 Posts: 27member
    I love how the first post was AMD++ OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The Mac community is going but kicking and screaming. Jobs will look out for our interests, but there will be compromises. I realize iTunes has some serious setbacks but there are also some pro-consumer features too that are harder to spot. I am by no means a fan of the RIAA/MPAA, the DMCA or DRM, but I would trust Jobs more to stand up for us against "Them" than Intel/Microsoft businessmen.

I still don't like it though. DRM sucks rocky mountain oysters.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
  • Reply 4 of 12
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    People should pay to play in the first place.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

If people actually believed this we wouldn't be in this spot...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Another stupid and useless move in a series of useless moves. Just like all the other so called "DRM"s, this one will get broken in days, not weeks.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I have a technical question:

Where are iTMS DRM signatures kept? Is it the version of iTunes that enacts the DRM and rights, or are rights embedded within the song file itself? I ask this because I'm curious if Apple and the RIAA can crack down on the rights of all your bought songs (no matter when you bought them) or only the songs that you bought after the crack-down date.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

A simplistic argument from a simple mind. DRM is not about fairness. DRM (at least the ideal of DRM) is about the vendor imposing absolute control over the transaction, to the total detriment of the buyer.

Remember that the record industry is one that:

1) Has been found guilty of price fixing. Ever wonder why despite the low manufacturing costs of CDs that prices have actually gone UP since the 80s?

2) Exploits their artists, giving most of them less than a dollar per CD sale and signs 15 years to lifetime exclusive contracts.

3) Runs a racket on all bar, clubs, restaurants, etc, charging them fees even if the establishment in question does not play RIAA music.

4) Has a history of cornering markets and locking out competition.

The points above don't even begin to address the moral issues of fair use, which for all intents and purposes will be prevented by any DRM scheme.

There are also moral issues of document lockdown, which could, among other things, prevent whisleblowers from gathering evidence in corporate scandals like Enron, or death threat emails that are DRM'd so that only the person being threatened can read them, preventing them from providing evidence to the authorities.

There are also larger issues of civil rights and privacy, as various outside parties will be allowed to monitor users' computing tasks.

Oh yeah, there's also the fact that person who owns the hardware will no longer control it. In short, why in God's name should I pay for this hardware if I no longer own it?

So stop trolling and actually consider the issues involved before you make these simplistic arguments for the sake of feeling self-righteous.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    I can't answer your question, but you bring up an interesting point.

Does Apple (or anyone else) have the power to disable my iTunes music at a whim?

If so, then it means that the buyer is at a disadvantage in this transaction since, for all intents and purposes, they don't really own the music in question, and iTMS is nothing more than a glorified overpriced music subscription service.

NB: I'm not accusing Apple of doing this. I'm simply raising the issue that it's uncertain whether or not they're doing this, and it's impossible to verify either way.

Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I have a technical question:

Where are iTMS DRM signatures kept? Is it the version of iTunes that enacts the DRM and rights, or are rights embedded within the song file itself? I ask this because I'm curious if Apple and the RIAA can crack down on the rights of all your bought songs (no matter when you bought them) or only the songs that you bought after the crack-down date.

• Reply 10 of 12
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

I can't answer your question, but you bring up an interesting point.

Does Apple (or anyone else) have the power to disable my iTunes music at a whim?

If so, then it means that the buyer is at a disadvantage in this transaction since, for all intents and purposes, they don't really own the music in question, and iTMS is nothing more than a glorified overpriced music subscription service.

NB: I'm not accusing Apple of doing this. I'm simply raising the issue that it's uncertain whether or not they're doing this, and it's impossible to verify either way.

That's why it is wise to keep around an old version of iTunes before upgrading it.

The songs themselves are encrypted with the DRM scheme, and iTunes (or iPod) has the key to decrypt them. If one day Apple would want to stop you from listening to songs you purchased (and why would they?), they would need to have you install a new version of iTunes incompatible with the old DRM scheme.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

The Mac community is going but kicking and screaming. Jobs will look out for our interests, but there will be compromises. I realize iTunes has some serious setbacks but there are also some pro-consumer features too that are harder to spot. I am by no means a fan of the RIAA/MPAA, the DMCA or DRM, but I would trust Jobs more to stand up for us against "Them" than Intel/Microsoft businessmen.

I still don't like it though. DRM sucks rocky mountain oysters.

i aggree, and we know your RIAA's most wanted which is a hint of you not liking them.. which is good, i mean, i've been against since the beginning..
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

nice nice