writing HTML on Mac OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,



Me and my wife do web design and we recently switched to macs and we are wondering how people just write simple HTML sites on the mac? We use dreamweaver but would also like a simple text editor...



Similar to what notepad does in windows...We want to write text and have the text not have things added to it. Textedit is horrible.



Anyone here able to offer any help?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Nevermind, I found a preference in Textedit to change it to plain text mode.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    for syntax highlighting and other tools: text wrangler, bbedit, subethaedit or vi
  • Reply 3 of 12
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by giant

    for syntax highlighting and other tools: text wrangler, bbedit, subethaedit or vi



    Also Smultron and TacoHTML
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by zenatek

    Nevermind, I found a preference in Textedit to change it to plain text mode.



    It took me some time to find this when i switched to Mac. I think it should be default
  • Reply 5 of 12
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Jwink3101

    It took me some time to find this when i switched to Mac. I think it should be default



    I think TextWrangler is the best free editor for this kind of work, or alternatively its big brother BBedit.



    http://www.barebones.com/
  • Reply 6 of 12
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Thanks for those other suggestions, but my wife just likes to write the text code and has difficulty with things assisting her.... I know, it doesn't make sence. Thats why I was happy to find the config in TextEdit
  • Reply 7 of 12
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    I use TextMate.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    resres Posts: 711member
    BBEdit by http://www.barebones.com/ is my main tool for html editing. I've been using it for years and have never found anything better.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by zenatek

    Thanks for those other suggestions, but my wife just likes to write the text code and has difficulty with things assisting her.... I know, it doesn't make sence. Thats why I was happy to find the config in TextEdit



    What, even syntax highlighting?



    That's just weird.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by staphbaby

    What, even syntax highlighting?



    That's just weird.




    I'm with you but i think there may be more to it. Although i never found it in the trial versions, for $200 i can't imagine there isn't somehting better making it worth that kind of money.



    Dreamweaver can do syntax highlighting. YOu don't have to use it for WYSIWYG.

    BareBones (who make BBEdit) do have textwrangler but i think that was mentioned already
  • Reply 11 of 12
    How do you change the configuration/preference on textedit to make it work for writting html codes? I couldn't find any where where it would let me change the preference to plain text.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,218moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krpdressage View Post


    How do you change the configuration/preference on textedit to make it work for writting html codes? I couldn't find any where where it would let me change the preference to plain text.



    In the Open and Save tab in prefs, set the ignore rich text commands in HTML files and change the default new document to plain text if you like too.
Sign In or Register to comment.