DVD Burner Model of New PowerMac's

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok so I know this question was answered in one of the other posts in the last month or so since the release of the new PowerMacs (2.0, 2.3, 2.7) but I cannot find it. I posted in the thread and I did a search by my username and everything but still could not find it. So would someone that has a one of these models be so kind as to tell me what the exact model number is for I am being a complete newbie right now and am quite ashamed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Used to be the Pioneer 109 (long capable of Dual Layer, but crippled until recently).

According to the system profiler screenshot on this page it might still be.

YMMV.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Used to be the Pioneer 109 (long capable of Dual Layer, but crippled until recently).

According to the system profiler screenshot on this page it might still be.

YMMV.

Thanks curiousuburb. That's interesting because I have also found that it is rumored they use the Pioneer DVR-A09. Someone said that in a thread on here after I dug around for over an hour. So anyone on this board that has a new 2.0, 2.3, or 2.7 could help me out I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking of getting the DVR-A09 to replace my Pioneer DVR-107D in my Rev. B G5
  • Reply 3 of 6
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    The Apple-installed Pioneer DVR-109s have custom firmware.

Tiger has built-in unofficial support for the regular pioneer 109s so you can do most CD & DVD burning but you do need the custom Apple firmware to burn dual-layer with iDVD.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    The new dual 2.3GHz G5 Tower I setup at work today had a Sony SuperDrive in it. I didn't recognize the model number, so can't quote it at the moment.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    my rev. B had a 117D in it...

now I flashed its firmware to a pioneer 108 and tiger supports it with DL and everything. Not a bad deal.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    From my system profiler from a DP 2.3:

"

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109:

Capacityt6.74 GB

ModeltPIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109

RevisiontA912

Removable MediatYes

Detachable DrivetNo

BSD Nametdisk2

ProtocoltATAPI