How to set up a new IMAC G5 for networking?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I now have a PC Windows XP SP2 wired to a Wireless B Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 4 router that also has a cable modem connected to it. I have another PC in another location with a Dell Wireless Adapter 1180.

I am getting an Apple iMacG5 and want to hook it up as the primary computer with the present PC hooked up as the wireless computer. It has the integrated capacity for wireless hookup.

Can I use the Linksys in the Apple?

Can I use the Dell Adapter in the PC as the wireless unit?

What software/hardware changes, if any, have to be made?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    hey... with your linksys router,

you can try different combinations.

your new iMac g5 should have an airport extreme card in it, so you can have your iMac g5 anywhere around your house and use it wirelessly.

if you really want you can also plug the iMacg5 into the linksys through an ethernet cable so that that becomes the 'primary' computer connected WIRED to the linksys ~ in this case you can turn the airport card in the iMac g5 to OFF.

best to use the Linksys router for all internet sharing (you probably already mean this but just wanted to clarify)

• Reply 2 of 3
    homeporthomeport Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hey... with your linksys router,

you can try different combinations.

your new iMac g5 should have an airport extreme card in it, so you can have your iMac g5 anywhere around your house and use it wirelessly.

if you really want you can also plug the iMacg5 into the linksys through an ethernet cable so that that becomes the 'primary' computer connected WIRED to the linksys ~ in this case you can turn the airport card in the iMac g5 to OFF.

best to use the Linksys router for all internet sharing (you probably already mean this but just wanted to clarify)

-----------------------------------------------

I planned to plug the G5 into the linksys to make it the primary computer, but I did not know that I should turn OFF the airport card. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by homeport

-----------------------------------------------

I planned to plug the G5 into the linksys to make it the primary computer, but I did not know that I should turn OFF the airport card. Thanks for the heads up.

no worries.. it just makes it easier/save power, etc.. if you turn off the airport card