iCal alarms...why do they suck

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Why do they make you set the alarm to happen XXX minutes/hours before or after the day has begun?

Way too much thinking for me. If I want to set my TODO to happen at 3:43pm why can't I have the alarm occur at this time?

Am I missing a simple way to instruct an exact time of day for an alarm? Am I missing the simple logic behind this as well.

I know I could do an event instead, but it's not the same for me. I want to actually click off that I have done something and the alarms for events are the same as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by varian72

Why do they make you set the alarm to happen XXX minutes/hours before or after the day has begun?

Way too much thinking for me. If I want to set my TODO to happen at 3:43pm why can't I have the alarm occur at this time?

Am I missing a simple way to instruct an exact time of day for an alarm? Am I missing the simple logic behind this as well.

What version are you running? In Tiger you set it to the same day, the day before, x days before, x days after and specify a time of day.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    varian72varian72 Posts: 36member
    I am running Panther.

Another reasont to upgrade I guess.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The only thing I dislike about event alarms is that if I dismiss an alarm popup, the iCal icon keeps bouncing until I switch iCal to the front. WTF is up with that?! If I click the dismiss icon I got the picture and I don't need the icon bouncing.

Does an app exist that will let me suppress some dock icon behaviors? Dock Detox perhaps?

Oh... I also don't like that the new Tiger iCal doesn't keep the current date's icon after you Quit the app. I know the technical details about it, but too bad. I want the right date down there like I had under Tiger.