A good, cheap webcam for G5 desktop??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

I read the post about the webcams for powerbooks but I have a G5 desktop running 10.2.8 and a 20 inch cinema. Can anyone suggest a cheap, good quality webcam for use with my system??

Also, are webcams on Macs compatible with yahoo messenger? I would assume since messenger is available for OSX but I don't know for sure. This will be my first experience with a webcam.

If there are any canadians around, can you recommend a common store where I could get one, such as future shop, business depot, walmart, etc? I don't have a mac store near me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    The question is...why are you running a G5 on 10.2.8?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    this is a webcam from Griffin for $39.95. the isight is $129. apple sells both (obviously the isight). good luck
  • Reply 3 of 6
    In response to icfireball:

10.2.8 came with my G5 (single 1.6 Ghz, 1st gen.). When Panther came out I figured I'd wait for a few updates, make sure all the kinks were out, and then buy that but it just got put on the backburner too long. Then they announced Tiger and I was already considering purchasing a dualie so I waited for new PowerMacs......I'm considering the dual 2.3 at the moment, but I also would really like to go portable.....so currently I'm hoping for a G5 Powerbook, or equivilent. Why spend the money on a new OS when I will be getting it anyways with my new purchase?

So that has been my reasoning. Plus, I don't have a mac store near me so I haven't been able to try the new OS's to see what kind of speed increases I can expect. I figured Jaguar was serving my purposes fine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G520incher

Hi everyone,

I read the post about the webcams for powerbooks but I have a G5 desktop running 10.2.8 and a 20 inch cinema. Can anyone suggest a cheap, good quality webcam for use with my system??

Also, are webcams on Macs compatible with yahoo messenger? I would assume since messenger is available for OSX but I don't know for sure. This will be my first experience with a webcam.

If there are any canadians around, can you recommend a common store where I could get one, such as future shop, business depot, walmart, etc? I don't have a mac store near me.

Thanks.

Forget what ragingloogie suggested about the Griffin. The 39.95 item is just an attachment to the iSight, not a webcam.

You will need to think about how you want to use the webcam (mounted on screen or placed on desktop pointing upwards). I've an iSight and it's an excellent choice for speed via Firewire. It works on both iChat and Yahoo Messenger. Yahoo Messenger is a bit choppy but it still works.

If you're looking for something else, you might want to check out Logitech's selection of webcams that run about US80.00 and up for Mac supported cameras. Just remember that these are based on USB. Creative's got a few, but not sure if they work on a Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by t-bone

Forget what ragingloogie suggested about the Griffin. The 39.95 item is just an attachment to the iSight, not a webcam.

sorry bout that.. wasnt reading that right\ you were right.. it was an attachment for the isight... althouhg i think my isight was a well worth investment for the times ive had used it...

good luck finding what you want
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    get an isight.

sheesh.