OS 10.4 on iMac G5, giving me hell... help any1?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey all,

im running a 1.8Ghz iMac G5 and recently updated to OS 10.4. Since then i've been having all kinds of problems. Ive noticed a lag in my computer's performance (but it IS in need of more RAM anyway) but the real problem is when i go to shut it down.

It seems as though roughly 1 in 3 times it wont shut down, but instead the screen will go to blue - like it does just before it turns off - then the "you need to restart your computer" message appears in about 5 languages.... why is this happening? Has any one else experienced similar problems?

i think that's it for now. If you can help then please speak up.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well you're definately having kernel panics on shutdown, and that's not good. That either means a serious problem with the OS install or some piece of hardware like memory. I think it's the software and you may want to back up your files and do an erase and install of Tiger again.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Don't know if you have done it or not but under Panther when that happens at work 90%+ the machine just needs maintenance.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Update again, 10.4.1 10.4.2 etc is my advice
  • Reply 4 of 17
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Kernal panics are usually written to the logs so if you head on over to the console you may be able to get some idea on what is causing them too.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    ive up graded to 10.4.1 and havent had a problem yet. But ive only shut down the computer once so far... so i'll keep you posted
  • Reply 6 of 17
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

ive up graded to 10.4.1 and havent had a problem yet. But ive only shut down the computer once so far... so i'll keep you posted

your welcome.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

then the "you need to restart your computer" message appears in about 5 languages.... why is this happening?

thanks

Kernel panics are almost always a hardware issue. Did you add RAM? Do you have USB or FireWIre devices added?

Unplug all added peripherals except the Apple keyboard and mouse. If this solves the problem, add back one peripheral at a time until you get the crash again.

If that doesn't solve it, make sure the memory is seated properly. Make sure that the About This Mac shows all the memory you are supposed to have.

Still no result, then make a new user account. Log into that and shut down from that account. If it solves the problem, then go back into the original account and move the ~/Library/Preferences folder onto the Desktop and shutdown. If it still crashes, reinstall the OS.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    sherashera Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Kernel panics are almost always a hardware issue. Did you add RAM? Do you have USB or FireWIre devices added?

Unplug all added peripherals except the Apple keyboard and mouse. If this solves the problem, add back one peripheral at a time until you get the crash again.

If that doesn't solve it, make sure the memory is seated properly. Make sure that the About This Mac shows all the memory you are supposed to have.

Still no result, then make a new user account. Log into that and shut down from that account. If it solves the problem, then go back into the original account and move the ~/Library/Preferences folder onto the Desktop and shutdown. If it still crashes, reinstall the OS.

----------------- To Panic or Not To Panic -------------

I am new to Mac, but not new to computers, I have been using a PC with linux for over 8 years and before that windows. But with the little experience I have with Mac I can state that a kernel panic can most definitly be software.

I have a new iMAC G5, came with tiger installed. (BTW a wonderful machine)I have had a problem with Kernel panics ever since I got my new iMAC G5 three weeks ago. I have called support with no help whatsoever. They did try but could not figure out the problem. So I took it apon myself to find out the cause of the problem, well atleast narrow it down.

Original Problem: If my computer is on, it is always connected through a dialup connection. After 3 days of having my computer I would get a panic here and there. Sometimes I was doing something like checking mail or chatting. Though at other times I would be doing nothing at all. Little by little the panics came closer together, at times not even allowing me to send the log report to apple. I presumed that maybe I had installed some kind of program that tiger didnt like so I used the system disks and reinstalled the system from scratch, not installing the program that I thought could be causing the problem. After many installs and not installing many different programs each time, I finally realized it was not one of my programs causing the crashes. I tryed disabling the screen saver, turning off the sleep feature, still crashed. The only thing that I could narrow down was that I crashed while connected to the internet. Ok so I tryed changing my electric cable and plugging it in to another socket (as suggested by someone from apple care), as you can figure this did nothing. I also changed my phone cable (as suggested by an apple care employee) , that did nothing either. I was told by an apple care employee that the problem could be line noise, but I have a mac mini that connects on the same line and does not have any problem with panicks (it runs panther not tiger). Running out of ideals, I tryed one more thing, I formatted the computer, installed all my programs, pictures and music, and I DID NOT install the update from apple! Something, the only thing, that I did after every format was to update my apple software. Problem solved: If I dont install the 10.4.1 update, I dont crash! One week now up and connected to the internet, surfing, chatting, emailing and only one crash so far. So the update must be the main problem here.

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.1.0: Tue May 10 18:16:08 PDT 2005; root:xnu-792.1.5.obj~4/RELEASE_PPC

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xFFFF0003): 0x300 - Data access

Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:

Backtrace:

0x00095564 0x00095A7C 0x0002683C 0x000A819C 0x000ABB00

Proceeding back via exception chain:

Exception state (sv=0x23030A00)

PC=0x233D4890; MSR=0x00009030; DAR=0x1D980005; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x233D488C; R1=0x0CEFB9A0; XCP=0x0000000C (0x300 - Data access)

Backtrace:

0x233D49E8 0x233D41A8 0x0011D128 0x00154E4C 0x001420C4 0x0028E6BC

0x002938C4 0x00293A98 0x002A8604 0x000ABCB0 0x00000000

backtrace terminated - frame not mapped or invalid: 0xBFFFFAD0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.nke.ppp(1.4)@0x233d0000

Exception state (sv=0x23501780)

PC=0x9001FD20; MSR=0x0000F030; DAR=0xE00FF000; DSISR=0x42000000; LR=0x00002EC4; R1=0xBFFFFAD0; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 - System call)
  • Reply 9 of 17
    baldprofbaldprof Posts: 2member
    That's bizzare. I have the same model iMac, and I installed the 10.4.1 update. No kernal panics. I used third party ram from Crucial to up the memory.

I don't know what to think. My iMac is a few months old, I got it shortly after this model became available. Maybe there's some weird kind of production variation.

Well I have an external hard drive and will do a full backup before trying the 10.4.2 update when that's out.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    ok. I've updated to 10.4.1 (i was already having problems with 10.4 so thought this might solve my problem). Ive turned the computer off 3 times since then and have had the problem once....

i DO have an exteranl HD, but haven't had problems with it before 10.4. I'll try disconnecting it (it's off right now).

i will also try shutting down from other user accounts....

of course this will all take time, because it doesn't happen EVERY time i turn the computer off....

i'll let you know what i discover, right now i'll try another user account.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ok. i've tested it out 7 times WITHOUT A SINGLE NEED OF RESTART

im hoping it's fixed.

i tried it with the External HD on & off (in my user account, and another) and i also tried it with my iPod. No problemos.

Also, no i haven't installed any extra RAM. I only have the measly 256mb it came with.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    My problem is weird. I got my Imac G5 the day after the apple web site upgraded the hardware. That computer burned out after one and ahalf weeks of uses and many panics. I took the computer to the apple store and they replaced it without problem. So now on a second computer from a different place I experienced the same problem with panics. I am afraid that not shutting down my computer may be what caused the first computer to burn out, maybe it paniced while I was at work and was just there for hours waiting to be restarted and burned out. I now do not leave my computer on. The people at apple care can not explain the problem, but it has happened on two computers, and always shows com.apple.nke.ppp in the error log. It still happens, but alot less frequent without the update to 10.4.1. To even go a step further, I was talking in irc in the mac channel and another person with the same computer as myself is having the same problem.

This has not been a very good experience with this being my first MAC.

Quote:

ok. I've updated to 10.4.1 (i was already having problems with 10.4 so thought this might solve my problem). Ive turned the computer off 3 times since then and have had the problem once....

i DO have an exteranl HD, but haven't had problems with it before 10.4. I'll try disconnecting it (it's off right now).

i will also try shutting down from other user accounts....

of course this will all take time, because it doesn't happen EVERY time i turn the computer off....

i'll let you know what i discover, right now i'll try another user account.

• Reply 13 of 17
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    I Have a new PM and the only problems I've encountered is when I run Virtual Pc7. When I shut down Windows I can guarentee

iTunes will Freeze and even Force quit will not work.Every other application will though. I just have to switch my Mac of from the mains...which I hate doing.

I now make sure I restart the machine after VPC 7.

Incidently has anyone had problems with Safari since 10.4.1

ie web pages not fully updating on many occasions until refresh is pressed?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    10 shut downs now, and still no more problems

where is the error log?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Open your applications folder, then the utilities folder, there you will find "Console". From here you can read all your log files

Quote:

10 shut downs now, and still no more problems

where is the error log?

• Reply 16 of 17
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    logs are under

/var/log and /Library/Log

/Library/Log is app stuf and /var/log is console stuf.

Check both for errors.

Dobby.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    ok. The problems are back.. .sometimes....

Since i last posted ive had two error messages. One of them was after i had gone to bed and left the computer downloading. I had scheduled it to shut down.

My sister said that when she woke up the computer was making lots of noise (the fan i assume) and that it had the error message that ive mentioned before displayed. She turned it off.

I dont know what to do... it doesnt happen very often, but i want to be able to leave my computer on over night and know that it will turn itself off!