iMac or iBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey!!!

Okay, for christmas im either getting a iMac(g5) or a iBook and i cant choose which one so i need more opinions.....please help!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    We need more info as well.

What are you gonna use it for? Web surfing, word processing, photo management maybe? If so, an iBook would suffice.

But if you want to deal with video and heavy graphics, then an iMac is the way to go.

But there's a lot of time 'til Christmas, and things may change. New hardware may be announced, making one choice or the other more close to your needs.

So wait a bit and then make your decision.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    As it stands right now, the new G5 iMac is far and away the best choice between the two. G5 vs G4... 17" flat screen vs 14.1" screen... 160 GB drive vs. 40 gig...

I just bought a base 17" iMac last week. This is the best bang for the buck IMHO of the Apple lineup right now.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    yes, more info is needed, if its simple school stuff, papers, few photo editing as Gene Clean as mentioned, then yes ibook is perfect, but if your going to be needing extra space for like movie editing, programming, and lots of photo work, music work (art in general) and then some, then imac is fine also.

like, my PB and my iMac are great, i love them both and i use them for the same things, i do a lil more w/ my imac w/ editing and such, but not much more.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    i think this person posted this in the Apple Forums too...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    For Christmas is too early to compare what the *then* iBook and iMac specs are.

Genericly -- do you like or need portability? To use your Mac home, at work, @ school, on the road, where ever you are? If so, most likely a portable, thus iBook will satisfy you more. If you know that for the next 2-3 years you will want and need to use the computer only at home desk (and not even browse in other rooms), then iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    think about this way... laptops are half the size and twice the price of a desktop... to spec up an ibook to your liking, itll be about 1400-1500$ about after the specs you get for it you like, and that minimum.. and for the specs on the imac it might be alil more b/c i think apple prices their iMacs higher now w/ a 20inch and faster processor speed... but to get an ibook as fast as an imac if you want that speed w/ it then itll be about the same if not more for less space.... so i guess its a matter of if you want portability or not, want more space or if 60-80GB is enough, or want lots of space w/ iMac.. those are a few questions you can ask your self; what you really want.. thats something you need to figure out.. also.. what would you use it for?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    iMac it is!!! unless there is a new mac before christmas that i might be instrested in....will there be?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    i dunno but that powermac duel G5 system looks hot but im happy w/ my imac
  • Reply 9 of 11
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

i dunno but that powermac duel G5 system looks hot but im happy w/ my imac

which imac did you get? i read the 20 has the best viewing area, and the others have a much narrower viewing area. making the 20 the one to get?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

which imac did you get? i read the 20 has the best viewing area, and the others have a much narrower viewing area. making the 20 the one to get?

G5 20inch iMac, the one that was that was put out the one right before the one that was realised in may... so i guess its the 1st generation G5 iMac? its nice... im loving it its wicked fast im loving it
  • Reply 11 of 11
    i was thinking about getting the seventeen inch...the twenty inch is BIG...and more expensive...