Software Publishers Assocation estimates that 16% of computer users use Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5933/

Quote:

Macintosh software comprises over 18% of all software sold, according to the Software and Information Industry Association. In addition, the Software Publishers Association (SPA) estimates that 16 percent of computer users are on Macs.

I'm sure you all have that friend or two that buys $300 PCs, fills them up with spyware, and throws them away in a year, year after year. Well, apparently those people, in addition to corporate PCs, greatly exaggerate the typical marketshare percentage.

The article doesn't mention where the SPA gets their numbers from, but it does differentiate between software purchases and usage share.

Usage share too isn't very clear... if 16% of people use Macs, does that mean that 95% of people can still use Windows?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i think it shows that mac users are far more likely to buy legitimate software for (non-bundled with your new computer) programs
  • Reply 2 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It means that Apple's marketshare isn't so bad after all, if you exclude most of Asia from your sample.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The turn over rate of a PC is faster than the one of a mac. People keep their pc 3 years, but many people still own an old mac.

This could be the first element explaining why the number of users is superior to the marketshare.

But this is not sufficiant for 16 % . The other element is that many mac users are professional users, who buy soft for their own usages.

BTW 16 % is a huge number. I am a little bit suprised here.