Imac G5 or Developer Intel Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, i am considering getting an Imac G5 this summer but not because of this announcement i am considering getting a select ADC membership and a Transition kit, do you think it is worth it?

Jonathan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cdoverlaw

Hi, i am considering getting an Imac G5 this summer but not because of this announcement i am considering getting a select ADC membership and a Transition kit, do you think it is worth it?

Jonathan

That's $1499 total, and you have to send the computer back at the end of 2006. I don't think it's worth it.

If it is a Select RENEWAL, then you get a hardware asset - worth 20% off. On a new system that could easily be $700 or more.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cdoverlawcdoverlaw Posts: 73member
    do you get the discount on a new select membership
  • Reply 3 of 7
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

do you get the discount on a new select membership

You get 1 (one) Hardware Asset when you buy a Select Membership.

The discount that it provides, on a new system, does not apply in the case of the Dev. Transition Kit which is a flat cost of $999.

As far as I can tell, buying the Dev Transition Kit does not deplete your Hardware Assets. Don't take me on my word, though, as I haven't really read it over properly.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    so i could buy the select membership then buy the imac which would essentially make the select membership being free, plus wouldnt i get the tiger development kit sent to me making me have 2 legal licencces to tiger, cool
  • Reply 5 of 7
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

so i could buy the select membership then buy the imac which would essentially make the select membership being free, plus wouldnt i get the tiger development kit sent to me making me have 2 legal licencces to tiger, cool

Essentially, yes.

You could even try to develop something.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    well i am founder of a AI research project which involves alot of programmign and development so i think i can handle doing a tiny bit of development, i just downloaded Xcode 2.1
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

well i am founder of a AI research project which involves alot of programmign and development so i think i can handle doing a tiny bit of development, i just downloaded Xcode 2.1

The Select membership now comes with a hardware asset even for new subscriptions. That's a change from before.

The G5 iMac developer prices are $1170, $1350, and $1620.

(Retail $1299, $1499, $1799).So you aren't going to get the whole $500 back. But you get free Tiger and Tiger Server, plus all beta builds. And a T-shirt.