Thinking back--Remembering the 68k->PPC transition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm curious if anyone can remember how far in advance the PPC timetable was anounced, how pissed of people were when they bought 840A/Vs, etc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Its interesting. I got my first Mac around that transition, a performa 635CD. I had very little idea of processors and what not and probably after a year, did I realize there was such a thing as a PPC chip. As a new computer user, I almost never got software and the transition into PPC didnt concern me. By the time I fully realized the differences, I had a Performa 6116 and could run this new fangled sw.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It was a non-issue for the users I had access to during the early PPC era. Most had absolutely no idea that there was a transition underway... nor did they need to know.

Let's hope this transition is as smooth.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My 3 big "transitions" have both been all-out switches.

1) When leaving high school in 1997, I was using an LC II at home...or maybe it was a -- I don't know, but it was a 68k machine. When I didn't have enough to buy my own Mac for college (and because the iMac wasn't out yet), I bought a refurbed IBM tower and took that to school.

2) The next time I owned/used a Mac was September of 2000 when I bought my Pismo. I kept the IBM around, but my roommate at school mainly used it.

3) I waited on Mac OS X until I bought my current 15" 1.25 Ghz Powerbook G4. I had used X a good deal, however, when my parents bought a flower iMac and iBook, so my personal switch was fairly simple and painless.

I don't dig "transitions." I'd rather just wait for it....wait for it...and....NOW! Get it all over with in one fell swoop. That's probably what will happen this time. Now, I don't expect to upgrade my PB running Panther and Avid XPress Pro 4 until I buy my first Macintel running Leopard. I might get the latest versions of iLife, iWork, etc., but that'll be the extent of it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    It was such an easy transition.

No pesky Internet boards filled with opinions to FUD the Mac faithful.

• Reply 5 of 6
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I went from LCIII to the first iMac and then to PowerBook 1.3 The biggest issue was learning the software, going from 7.something to X (with 8.something inbetween on the iMac). Can never remember the chip being that big of a deal, although now I don't have to feel as bad about wanting to upgrade before intel based computers come out. I mean there is no real point to buying G4 or G5 computer now that I can really see.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I went from a Mac LC to a Performa 6360 to a G4. The transition went by unnoticed by me. The transition from 9 to 10.2 was also very smooth. Cheers!