Where is 4.9?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I want that iTunes that steve demoed today, even if it were labled beta, i would use it! I want that feature NOW!

Any hints on release date? next tuesday? tomarow?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Uncle Steve said at the D: All Things Digital conference where he previewed it that it will be realeased within 90 days ( if i recall correctly) But your right, i cant wait to, as soon as i first discovered podcast ive been wishing for these features in iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    He said within 60
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sorry, thanks for the correction (even better!)
  • Reply 4 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I want that iTunes that steve demoed today, even if it were labled beta, i would use it! I want that feature NOW!

Streaming sucks on my PIII 700 what features looked cool during the Keynote demo?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Streaming sucks on my PIII 700 what features looked cool during the Keynote demo?

Podcasting != streaming. Watch the first half of yesterdays stevenote and see, podcasts with chapters, delivered FREE via the ITMS, My only question is if apple is hosting the files and distributing them free a: do they charge the podcasters, do they insert ADs? and B: will they be in MP3 or unprotected AAC as thepodcast standard calls for or will Apple use the secure AAC?

BTW, under windows (or any platform) streaming can be effected by any number of things a: what is your bandwith, b:are you using WIFI, wifi can drops out from time to time thus causing streams to break up, and c:what is your latency, ping google.com, if the responce time is over 100ms call your ISP (outside of US/Can use your countries TLD like .de)
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

whats this new feature? i heard about 4.9 coming, but im a lil fuzzy on what you say the new feature is. ?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Now that Quicktime 7 for Windows is out in beta form, I'd expect iTunes 4.9 will be released in another month or two. Just need to wait for the Quicktime dust to settle.

ragingloogie, the new features in iTunes 4.9 are specifically geared towards Podcasting. Now you can browse and subscribe to Podcasts via iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

ragingloogie, the new features in iTunes 4.9 are specifically geared towards Podcasting. Now you can browse and subscribe to Podcasts via iTunes.

hmm... podcasting??? hmm... nifty? not exactly what that it is.. either that or my mind is sluggish... either or.. im confused
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Now that Quicktime 7 for Windows is out in beta form, I'd expect iTunes 4.9 will be released in another month or two. Just need to wait for the Quicktime dust to settle.

...and there is a ton of dust - h.264 is smooooooth on my mini 512 mb ram but nearly kills an AMD 3000+, 1gb ram, 6800 PC here at work that is optimized as a video workstation.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

whats this new feature? i heard about 4.9 coming, but im a lil fuzzy on what you say the new feature is. ?

It is like ipodderx on crack, coke and weed...and acid, and all the podcasts can be hosted by apple and thus no more need for me to leave Bittorrent on all nite every nite to get and share the latest TWIT, various Mac-casts and a few others...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

It is like ipodderx on crack, coke and weed...and acid, and all the podcasts can be hosted by apple and thus no more need for me to leave Bittorrent on all nite every nite to get and share the latest TWIT, various Mac-casts and a few others...

Could someone please break down what exactly 'Podcasting' is? Because what a_greer wrote made little sense as well.

In laymens terms for us idiots.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

Could someone please break down what exactly 'Podcasting' is? Because what a_greer wrote made little sense as well.

In laymens terms for us idiots.

Podcasts are basically radio shows as AAC or MP3 files etc. These have been around for ages, but now Apple is making it easier for you to access them by putting them on the music store, and allowing you to subscribe to your favourite podcasts so that new episodes of that show are automatically downloaded to your iPod when they become available. Hoep that helps. I've never really tried podcasts myself, but reckon I'll try a few shows out when 4.9 comes around.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Ohhhhh, okay. That makes much more sense. Is it purely coincidental that iPod's and Podcasting have pod in their name?

Was podcasting around before the iPod?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Steve said it would be in around 60 days so that makes it around 43 now!

Podcasting is on-demand radio for MP3 players and computers. You download the show and then listen to it at your leisure. iTunes is integrating it meaning third party applications don't have to be used.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Ohhhhh, okay. That makes much more sense. Is it purely coincidental that iPod's and Podcasting have pod in their name?

In a sense, yes. People would sometimes do their own stuff, but before the iPod, broadband still wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now, so folks typically only downloaded single songs anyway.

Now, with bigger hard drives and faster connections, folks are willing to download bigger audio files. Also, RSS makes it dead simple. You can 'subscribe' to an RSS feed on the web, and your software will notify you when that feed updates. Folks started putting audio files into their RSS feeds, and that's where podcasting started to really catch on. You don't have to manually go to the page, check for updates, download the file, add it to iTunes and sync the iPod, now. Just subscribe to the RSS feed in iTunes, and it'll download automatically when it sees the new 'cast.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

It's called podcasting because the iPod is the market leader.