what replaces the power montra

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the end of Powerpc, what will Apple calltheir now hi-end stuff, back in the mid 90's power (see PowerMac, PowerBook) was how they designated powerpc v 680x0 chip, will we see Pentium Mac, pentium book? or will Apple just keep the power montra so as not to totaly confuse the hell out of n00bs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I have wondered the same thing. It is my hope they keep the names Powermac and Powerbook.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the 'Power' prefix to Apple progear will vanish when Intel Apple hardware arrives.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Most likely stay the same I imagine. Just because PentiumBook sounds like utter crap.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    At last I can guiltlessly enjoy the BlueManGroup.

Still, Intel... makes my skin crawl. Too much RDF exposure, I guess.

Powerbook...P4?

V/r,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 5 of 16
    storerstorer Posts: 12member
    I say that they will stay with power. It sounds better and it just goes with the term "power user."
  • Reply 6 of 16
    peter northpeter north Posts: 103member
    they will stay the same, only they will drop the chip name after it, so instead of "Powermac G5" it will just be the "Powermac"
  • Reply 7 of 16
    It will say PowerMac, but with a blue Intel Inside sticker on it.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scooterboy

That sticker better be easy to peel off, and if Apple even thinks about using the Intel jingle in mac ads...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

That sticker better be easy to peel off, and if Apple even thinks about using the Intel jingle in mac ads...

aw comw on, first Apple has to RUN ads for computers...

The intel jingle will br the new firmware startup sound!

<ducks>
  • Reply 10 of 16
    thetsartthetsart Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scooterboy

I keep seeing people talk about the sticker... Is there some commitment that computer manufacturers sign when they use Intel that demands they have the sticker on the box?

I just always figured it was co-branded advertising where the manufacturer got some discount for including the logo on their product.

I just cannot imagine Steve allowing stickers to be placed on Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    There will be no fucking sticker, or any mention of Intel anywhere on the case. I am sure Steve demanded that (or will demand, if things haven't been discussed that far down the road).

As for the name, I think PowerMac and PowerBook seem to fit quite well as the more powerful end. I think the name has become more of a product moniker than a "PowerPC" description. Remember, PowerBooks existed before they had "PowerPC" chips in them. They can shitcan the Gx though. I guess it could bumped to G6/G5 for 'Macs and 'Books.

God only knows what happens to the lineup though. I would suspect it may not change much, but you never know. I think we may see the eMac rolled up into something more iMac G4-ish just to collapse that beast once and for all.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Powermac P6

Powerbook P6 (or P whatever but not smaller than 5)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheTSart

I keep seeing people talk about the sticker... Is there some commitment that computer manufacturers sign when they use Intel that demands they have the sticker on the box?

I just always figured it was co-branded advertising where the manufacturer got some discount for including the logo on their product.

I just cannot imagine Steve allowing stickers to be placed on Macs.

Yep, Intel pays you money to include the sticker, or toss in the jingle into your TV ad. Apple could very easily say no to the sticker.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    PowerBook G6 / PowerMac G6.

After-all, it's the sixth generation of their processor architecture. I think...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The Power name stays.

i = home/consumer

Power = professional

If in the past there was a nice confluence of terms, great, but the brands have a strong presence, and will survive
  • Reply 16 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The Powerbook was called the "Powerbook" long before anyone thought about making a desktop variant of the Power processor. Of course, the PowerMacintosh moniker didn't follow suit until it the PowerPCs were shipping. It was, presumably, a mere continuation of what was going on already: 040 macs were called "Quadras."

It would be pretty funny if the Intel macs were called Mac III's. (Or, maybe more appropriately, Mac XI's)