Developer Kit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone else curious about these?

I might be able to obtain one, and I am wondering about the big picture with these.

Apple indicates that these are going to need to be returned. But how will they enforce this?

I am curious, because I believe these developer kits will become quite the collector's item. Not to mention that you'll get to play with OS X on much faster hardware than anyone else is currently using. (Did you see the demos that Steve did? That machine looked to be pretty smokin fast.)

I am sure Apple will probably entice people to return their kits, by offering to replace them with real shipping machines once those are available... but I think that keeping one of these Dev machines might be a good longterm investment.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    No idea about the replacement policy, all we know is the party line, that you have to return it. All Devs will get the standard discount on new gear anyhow, and at $999 the dev box is cheap, albeit a loaner.

I was pretty curious at first, then I remember why I love my current G5! I'm not interested in this dev rig, I'm interested in replacing my Titanium PowerBook with new mojo.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by SCARECROW

Anyone else curious about these?

I might be able to obtain one, and I am wondering about the big picture with these.

Apple indicates that these are going to need to be returned. But how will they enforce this?

I am curious, because I believe these developer kits will become quite the collector's item. Not to mention that you'll get to play with OS X on much faster hardware than anyone else is currently using. (Did you see the demos that Steve did? That machine looked to be pretty smokin fast.)

I am sure Apple will probably entice people to return their kits, by offering to replace them with real shipping machines once those are available... but I think that keeping one of these Dev machines might be a good longterm investment.

What do you think?

Well, the answer, most certainly, is to sign up as a developer with an assumed name using a stolen credit card. What's the guys name who's always used on the credit card pics they use in ads ... 'G. Raymond'. Perfect.

It's a perfect plan. Apple will never catch on, and you'll be raking in the big bucks on ebay at the end of 2006!!

But really, I'd guess that Apple will be offering an additional discount on final shipping hardware to those developers who puchased the Transition Kit. Above that financial incentive to return the test mule at the end of the eval. period, I'm sure the threat of litigation will be enough to get you to return yours. Right?!