and so, Apple kills a bunch of after market Mac companys

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I honestly don't know how well processor upgrade resellers do in the Mac market (pretty well I imagine), but I guess their companys just got the writing on the wall.

In a couple years, I'll be able to go to a local cash n carry or online reseller and swap out old Pentium processor with the latest pin compatible 16-core-Pentium-beast and keep my PowerMac for a few more years... all for probably 2-3-400 dollars.

Also, HOPEFULLY, this could mean I can go out and buy ANY 3rd party Graphics Card and not be kept hostage to ATI or Apple for 600$ cards...

What other hardware or accessories can we finally be free to choose from?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    You won't be able to do that any more than current PC users are able to do that.

New motherboards are out all the time with all the latest gee-whiz widgets that make you want to just upgrade everything.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I can see one immediate benefit for 3rd party hardware guys.

The intel on the card for the Powermac set.

you can upgrade your G4 or G5 powermac to an intel chip (64bit?) for less than the cost of a new computer.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I can see one immediate benefit for 3rd party hardware guys.

The intel on the card for the Powermac set.

you can upgrade your G4 or G5 powermac to an intel chip (64bit?) for less than the cost of a new computer.

Son of OrangePC? I doubt it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    I am quite sure the IntelMacs (wow that is weird) will be so proprietary that they will make a HP/Compaq look like a custom built unit!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Here are my thought on "MacTel"

http://www.ionicstudios.net/MacTel/

HA!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gio Gutierrez

Here are my thought on "MacTel"

http://www.ionicstudios.net/MacTel/

HA!

hey you should make that into a dashboard widget and use coreImage to do the breathing-deformation thing