PC marketshare intrusion

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple SAID that the Intel Mac hardware WILL RUN WINDOWS.

You can have your company buy Macs with OSX, but if you decide later some of your employees need Windows instead, you can wipe the drives and install XP. The reverse is also true. Buy a Mac, install XP, then later if you decide it's OK to migrate to OSX. I'm sure some clever person (or Apple) will write something to allow an installation of OSX on one partition and Windows on another. (I'm ignoring the obvious implications of VPC at full native speed, which are even greater).

Apple will be going head to head with Dell and every other PC maker.

Computer buyers will have two choices soon:

1. Buy a PC and save come cash, have ugly hardware casings, viruses and be tied forever to Windows/Linux.

OR

2. Buy a Mac, spend a little more, and have the choice of your OS in an kick a$$ case. Put XP on them. Too many viruses? Get tired of XP? Just install OSX. Got a computer that needs to move from the design department to the front office secretary to run MS Access? Just install XP. Going the other way? Just install OSX.

Get it?

The flexibility of the Intel Mac will change the PC landscape forever. I can't imagine a company that now uses Macs and PCs in the same office (such as an advertising agency) ever buying PCs again.

Imagine if Apple offers a BTO unit with Alienware-like options, including AMD as an option. Unless you must have green neon lights in your PC case, what gamer wouldn't want a Mac instead? They can run OSX and iApps from one partition and XP and games from another.

This is the idea you're going to have to accept: Macs will become the best PC hardware on the planet. Everyone will want them. The masses will eat them up. Mac zealots are crying across the globe because they see their l33t status fading away. Soon PC geeks worldwide will be tooling around on our sacred hardware. The world is coming to an end! Run for the hills!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inslider

Apple SAID that the Intel Mac hardware WILL RUN WINDOWS.

You can have your company buy Macs with OSX, but if you decide later some of your employees need Windows instead, you can wipe the drives and install XP. The reverse is also true. Buy a Mac, install XP, then later if you decide it's OK to migrate to OSX. I'm sure some clever person (or Apple) will write something to allow an installation of OSX on one partition and Windows on another. (I'm ignoring the obvious implications of VPC at full native speed, which are even greater).

Apple will be going head to head with Dell and every other PC maker.

Computer buyers will have two choices soon:

1. Buy a PC and save come cash, have ugly hardware casings, viruses and be tied forever to Windows/Linux.

OR

2. Buy a Mac, spend a little more, and have the choice of your OS in an kick a$$ case. Put XP on them. Too many viruses? Get tired of XP? Just install OSX. Got a computer that needs to move from the design department to the front office secretary to run MS Access? Just install XP. Going the other way? Just install OSX.

Get it?

The flexibility of the Intel Mac will change the PC landscape forever. I can't imagine a company that now uses Macs and PCs in the same office (such as an advertising agency) ever buying PCs again.

Imagine if Apple offers a BTO unit with Alienware-like options, including AMD as an option. Unless you must have green neon lights in your PC case, what gamer wouldn't want a Mac instead? They can run OSX and iApps from one partition and XP and games from another.

This is the idea you're going to have to accept: Macs will become the best PC hardware on the planet. Everyone will want them. The masses will eat them up. Mac zealots are crying across the globe because they see their l33t status fading away. Soon PC geeks worldwide will be tooling around on our sacred hardware. The world is coming to an end! Run for the hills!!!

I wouldn't say sacred hardware, I'd say sacred community. I can just imagine going over to MacUpate and seeing about a trillion crappy looking pieces of crap software that people ported over in about 2 minutes from Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    No you're overstating things here.

Phil Schiller said Apple wouldn't make moves to prevent you from intalling Windows on a Mac. He then stated that OSX will only run on Macs.

Companies aren't going to give much weight to an unsupported Windows install. They can't get support from Microsoft or Apple. Install at your own risk.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Keep in mind that a full copy of Windows is $250, but it's "free" if you buy a Dell. (No, you cannot legally install an upgrade or OEM copy.)

I can't see people paying hundreds more for a Mac "just in case" they want to run OS X instead of Windows. People who want OS X will buy Macs, people who want Windows will buy Dell/HP/etc., and marketshare will not change much.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    The scenario I see taking place is more like this:

The regular guy who has a PC and has always wanted to switch to the Mac, but won't for fear of loosing the current investment in PC apps that will not run on a Mac. Now he will be able to go ahead and get the Mac and still be able to install Windows in the Mac. This is why Apple is moving to Intel chips. All else is just a smoke screen. It has nothing to do with chip roadmaps, chip design, chip speed and other whatevers. It's all about moving into the Windows play ground.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Clones just took one giant step to re-emergence. The difficulty of emulating a CPU has kept the prospect of OSX on wintel at bay. Apple won't be so successful.

Mac on X86 linux anyone?

Apple will have some intrusions of their own to worry about. It just takes one dedicated company...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This is really great news. It would be better if I could run Mac OS X on the PC, but at least I only have to buy one computer now.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Apple will have some intrusions of their own to worry about. It just takes one dedicated company...

How so?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    What would it really take for a company to build a generic box capable of running OSX ?

If you can have Virtual PC, why can't you have virtual macOS ?

Only now, with essentially the same CPU platform, the "emulation" hit would be minimal to non-existent. Yes, Apple will do something to limit OSX to running on Apple HW, but these attempts are ALWAYS defeated -- someone will have Mac-on-linux or some such up and running within a year of the first X86 consumer mac debut.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    insliderinslider Posts: 86member
    Quote:

What would it really take for a company to build a generic box capable of running OSX ?

If you can have Virtual PC, why can't you have virtual macOS ?

Only now, with essentially the same CPU platform, the "emulation" hit would be minimal to non-existent. Yes, Apple will do something to limit OSX to running on Apple HW, but these attempts are ALWAYS defeated -- someone will have Mac-on-linux or some such up and running within a year of the first X86 consumer mac debut.

And this has to be the conclusion at which we arrive, that is that OSX will eventually run on any X86 machine. Somehow, someway, someday it's sure to happen. This leaves us with two things to ponder regarding Microsoft. Either 1. they are scared $hitless and are in meetings right now to decide how to deal with it, or 2. they're somehow a part of the plan (insert XFiles-like conspiracy theory).

I don't think anyone in the threads I've read has given a very good argument for if or how OSX will be kept off all X86 machines. Nothing is unhackable, nothing is sacred; therefore, Apple will have to eventually embrace destiny if it's not already their long term plan.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    You can't sell a generic PC running OS X because of inevitable lawsuits, so 99% of the population will never know about it. Perhaps the remaining 1% will warez OS X like crazy; it's too early to tell.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    insliderinslider Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

You can't sell a generic PC running OS X because of inevitable lawsuits, so 99% of the population will never know about it. Perhaps the remaining 1% will warez OS X like crazy; it's too early to tell.

Sorry, I didn't mean selling them with OSX preinstalled, just the fact that OSX may be/will be hacked to work. It's not such a small community that would install an OSX hack; the entire gaming and programming community comes to mind first. It's not a giant percentage, but I think it's bigger than 1%. It would be enough to start the snowball down the giant hill.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

I don't believe it would make much of an impact. If they do build it, it will be illegal hence only a very few will be going that route.

I do agree that we will be seeing some hacks, this however will not have much of an impact, if any at all, into Apple's success.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Just for the sake of argument, lets say it was possible to build a non-Apple computer that would run OS X. You could legally sell that. The buyer would go into an Apple store and purchase OS X. Probably installation would void the license. However, if it worked no one would be able to stop that.

Personally, I think that Apple will make darn sure that this not possible. We'll have to wait to see the first shipping products before we can really judge this. It is jumping the gun to make proclamations based on just the developer hardware.

Will Apple be using absolutely generic Pentiums? Maybe the hardware will be different enough that you couldn't patch OS X to run on wintel hardware without access to the source code? Phil Schiller said that the Apple hardware would run windows if Microsoft would provide some support implying these will not be standard wintel computers.