iPod video clue?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well this post may seem trivial after the announcement yesterday, but anyway...

I downloaded my pre-order of the new Coldplay album "X&Y" from the iTunes store today. The album came with a bonus video interview...

When I went to charge and sync my iPod just a few minutes ago, the message that popped up warned me that "The song Video-Interview can not be synced to THIS iPod.

Hmm, does that mean that an iPod Video is coming soon? Why else would the message say can't sync to THIS iPod? Can it sync to ANOTHER yet unreleased iPod?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    do you have an iPod or an iPod Photo? If it's just an iPod then I might download that just to see if my iPod Photo will work....
  • Reply 2 of 20
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Stop reading into things so much.

What would you rather it say? It can't sync to "that" ipod? It can't sync to "your" ipod? It's all the same thing.

For the record I'm not saying a video ipod is not going to happen. I'm just saying every single little word isn't some magical clue to worlds unknown.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I dont know about that, I'd say its pretty suggestive.

What does it say when other files cannot be synced ?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

I dont know about that, I'd say its pretty suggestive.

What does it say when other files cannot be synced ?

How else would it be worded? "Cannot be synced to an ipod" doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

do you have an iPod or an iPod Photo? If it's just an iPod then I might download that just to see if my iPod Photo will work....

3rd generation white iPod. I also tried this with my mini and got the same message.. Seems like this could be something. Otherwise it should say something like "file format not-compatible" or something to that effect.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Stop reading into things so much.

Agreed that this may be a specific detail that is irrelavant...BUT:

Apple (and every single other software company) creates their software to handle all future situations untill the next release of the software. If Apple knew that a video iPod was on the edge of release (it still can be) it would put that into iTunes so that if they did release it, it would be fully support. The fact that the computer even TRIED to sync the video is also what is interesting. There is coding telling iTunes that video media is a certain type of iPod material. If there wasn't this coding in the syncing function, it would just simply ignore the video file.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    It says when I sync with iTunes:

"...cannot be played on this iPod" - for video

and '...cannot be displayed on your iPod" for some photos.

This could be an inconsistency or a hint or a number of things. Read into it what you like!

A video iPod is almost useless. When do people use their iPods?

in the car - can't watch video

on train - can watch video

while commuting (bus/train/tube) - can't watch video

while walking - can't watch video

secondly the screen is too small and battery life would suck. Thirdly people don;'t watch movies all the time - it's not often one would have time to watch a two hour movie on the go. Fourthly you wouldn't watch a movie that often (individually). Fifthly movies take up a lot of space. Sixthly there's no way to get the movies. Seventhly watching videos (music etc.) would be just as pointless.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Fifthly movies take up a lot of space.

Filthy movies really don't take up that much space.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Well if you have alot of them they do
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

about 8GB for a 2-hour movie (yes the quality could be reduced but you may want to plug the iPod into a TV? - although a DVD would be easier!) compared to 2,000 songs (133 hours). Anyway who would want to watch a movie on a screen the size of a phone?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    No one said the screen would be the size of the phone (or previous iPods). Steve Jobs even said he wouldn't do that to us. While Apple may add video support in the iPod Photo, Apple won't market it as a video, except for just the mention that is plays video. Apple still can however release a portable media device, with a larger screen...and presumably...knowing apple...it would have a wide screen. Right now, all of you are thinking inside the box. When Apple designs things, they dont think: "well, does this look like our previous design?", or "Well this new device has to be like our previous one!". Case in point with the iPod Shuffle.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

No one said the screen would be the size of the phone (or previous iPods). Steve Jobs even said he wouldn't do that to us. While Apple may add video support in the iPod Photo, Apple won't market it as a video, except for just the mention that is plays video. Apple still can however release a portable media device, with a larger screen...and presumably...knowing apple...it would have a wide screen. Right now, all of you are thinking inside the box. When Apple designs things, they dont think: "well, does this look like our previous design?", or "Well this new device has to be like our previous one!". Case in point with the iPod Shuffle.

Obviously not BUT if it's any bigger it wont be pocket sized. My phone has a bigger screen than the iPod but I still wouldn't want to watch video on it. What I'm saying is to keep this thing portable the video will be too small.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    An idea I just thought of, that may be a solution.

If apple releases an iPod that can play video, either Apple or a third party could release a screen the size of the iPod which would connect via the dock port.

What I mean is something the size of the iPod and would lie flush against the iPod's back casing. Kinda like the way those battery packs do.

Anyways, thats just an idea but not necessarily a good one.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

An idea I just thought of, that may be a solution.

If apple releases an iPod that can play video, either Apple or a third party could release a screen the size of the iPod which would connect via the dock port.

What I mean is something the size of the iPod and would lie flush against the iPod's back casing. Kinda like the way those battery packs do.

Anyways, thats just an idea but not necessarily a good one.

BUT it would still have a small screen! I know lots of people want a video iPod but I can't see the point. I can see the point in a digital hub controller or a device that plugs into TVs with HD content on it - just not a cruddy screen video player. We've got enough of these. Apple rarely enters the market when there are lots of solutions - they tend to beat the crowd to it.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

BUT it would still have a small screen!

Look at the PSP. It's screen is not too small for veiwing videos. I've seen videos play on the PSP in person. The problem with the PSP is clutter and content. The PSP has a lot of clutter and too many buttons, and in order to get content for it (movies, games, etc), you have to buy expensive disks to go in it. The PSP is not computer content friendly either (with the exception of some photos and a a little bit of music) beacuse it has a small 32 MB of standard memory. If Apple made a similar device, it would have a large HD to store photos, music, and movies, and it wouldn't be clutterd because a) Apple dosn't make cluttered devices, and b) it would not be a game concil as the PSP is.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Look at the PSP. It's screen is not too small for veiwing videos. I've seen videos play on the PSP in person. The problem with the PSP is clutter and content. The PSP has a lot of clutter and too many buttons, and in order to get content for it (movies, games, etc), you have to buy expensive disks to go in it. The PSP is not computer content friendly either (with the exception of some photos and a a little bit of music) beacuse it has a small 32 MB of standard memory. If Apple made a similar device, it would have a large HD to store photos, music, and movies, and it wouldn't be clutterd because a) Apple dosn't make cluttered devices, and b) it would not be a game concil as the PSP is.

The PSP screen is too small and the PSP doesn't fit in your pocket. Also who would want to watch a two-hour movie on the PSP - playing a game-boy like game is fair enough but not a video.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    The PSP DOES fit in my pocket.

I have watched full length features movies on it (one to be named is spiderman) and it is fine for watching that. When you watch tv, the screen is big, and my guess is you dont sit right in front of it. You sit a ways back. Now when you have a psp, your going to have it at a much closer distance...the regular distance you would hold an iPod or Cell Phone, and it is fine for watching a movie
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I agree MacCrazy that the market is too cluttered, it's a small screen, and probably would not meet people's expectations.

But, if Apple allowed video to be loaded to the iPod through a small software hack, a third part company like griffin could release the screen. It's a degree of separation from Apple so they're not really responsible for the shortcomings of it.

By the way, what I'd really like is to be able to load PowerPoint/Keynote presentations to the iPod and have them play onto any computer without installing or transferring anything.

(yes I know the work-arounds of saving as photos, but I would like it to be simple)
  • Reply 19 of 20
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Movies are already coming out in both DVD and PSP formats.

No reason we can't have iPod formatted movies at a fraction of the size as true DVDs.

People can, are and will watch movies on the PSP, so why not iPods?

Anyone that thinks watching movies on an iPod is stupid will be proven as wrong as those that said that Apple will never waste their time creating an MP3 player.

You only need to add time to the equation.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

By the way, what I'd really like is to be able to load PowerPoint/Keynote presentations to the iPod and have them play onto any computer without installing or transferring anything.

(yes I know the work-arounds of saving as photos, but I would like it to be simple)

Yeah I agree this would be a great addition. You could present a keynote from your iPod photo.

I'm not against video iPods that can plug into TVs etc. I just don't think you can get a great user experience from a screen the size of the PSPs. Apple always come into the market with something different (when the iPod came out I wasn't so in touch with Apple rumours). If Apple make a video iPod it would be for a different market and for different locations. Songs and videos are consumed in very different ways.