How to change background color in OS X?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just switched to OS X. I'd like to know if it is possible to change the default background of all widgets/components from white to tan.

For example, the window in which I am typing, finder client area background, text, text edit area background, etc. On windows you just select new background color for controls are you are done. I can't find any similar option in OS X.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bazad

I just switched to OS X. I'd like to know if it is possible to change the default background of all widgets/components from white to tan.

For example, the window in which I am typing, finder client area background, text, text edit area background, etc. On windows you just select new background color for controls are you are done. I can't find any similar option in OS X.

Thank you

There is no such option in Mac OS X. The only thing you can do is switch between Aqua and Graphite which only colors things such as menus, buttons, scroll bars.

What you want sounds more like themes. Try a program like Shapeshifter from Unsanity (but be warned that some people have nothing but trouble with "haxies"): http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter
  • Reply 2 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

What you want sounds more like themes. Try a program like Shapeshifter from Unsanity (but be warned that some people have nothing but trouble with "haxies"): http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter

Haxies alter the system in ways it should not be changed. I would not recommend installing anything from the APE Manager group without extreme care and testing.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I just purchased a used iBook and I'm finding I can't customize the desktop the way I could with my old iBook (which also ran on 10.3). On my old iBook when I opened the System Preferences - Desktop & Screensaver there was a drop down menu in the Desktop section that allowed me to center, fill or stretch an image I chose. Also, I was not limited to the few colors in the Solid Colors area, but could activate a color wheel palatte. These options are not available now.

Any suggestions?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    What version of OS X? I'm using Tiger and I see exactly those options.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by surfacenuts

I just purchased a used iBook and I'm finding I can't customize the desktop the way I could with my old iBook (which also ran on 10.3). On my old iBook when I opened the System Preferences - Desktop & Screensaver there was a drop down menu in the Desktop section that allowed me to center, fill or stretch an image I chose. Also, I was not limited to the few colors in the Solid Colors area, but could activate a color wheel palatte. These options are not available now.

Any suggestions?

10.4.1 and I'm sure 10.4 as well have those options. It does depend what picture you're using as your background. Apple backgrounds don't give you that option.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    its easy... right click or if your using apple's one button mouse, ctrl key and click and then itll ask you to change desktop backround or something w/ a few other options and just click and look ofr the backround of your liking
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

its easy... right click or if your using apple's one button mouse, ctrl key and click and then itll ask you to change desktop backround or something w/ a few other options and just click and look ofr the backround of your liking

I think he's referring to backgrounds on text fields etc.