Price Change...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So does anyone think that a price change will seriously be in the works for current Apple hardware? I was wanting to buy an iMac ~ but if the price dropes a hundred or two, I sure would be stoked. So what are the chances and when do you think it would happen?

come one you diviners of apple movments!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I wouldn't bet on it. What we are likely to see as far as hardware upgrades the rest of the year are iBook and MacMini's, possibly PowerBooks, but I suspect that one of the reasons that Apple is making the switch is that FreeScale does not have anything much better coming in the short term than they have on the market today. Price drops MAY happen as early as November if sales really tank, but Apple would still need to reassure the consumers that they Apple they buy today will still support software released in a year to boost sales.

A more likely scenerio would be for an early switch for some products if sales drop too low, for example Apple might be able to switch the iMac or Mac Mini line in January/February since they have a working version of the OS as well as the consumer applications. The timeframe looks like it is based on the release of a new Pentium, but the current processer works in the developers computers. Apple could probably push production up using an existing Pentium if they really needed too, and I would bet that they have some sort of fallback plan like this in place.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    Agree with JCG. Apple was buying cheaper IBM chips before the switch. The cost of the new machines may very well be higher for Apple with intel inside (chip for chip, it would be today), and I fully expect my favorite fruit company to pass that on to the consumers.

I don't know where the idea that Macs will be cheaper with Intel inside comes from. The cutting edge chips from Intel are wacky expensive. (Yes, intel has cheap chips too. But you don't want those...).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I agree that any real significant price drops will not happen. You might get some deals that come around now and again, but nothing drastic.

I'm not so sure Apple can speed up the delivery of Mactels. IF they introduce them too soon they are going to really upset the developers. They had to announce at WWDC to give them time to prepare. To then go ahead and ship much earlier will leave us in a situation of having Mactels and only Apple software to run on them.

The earliest I can see introducing is at MWSF followed by a typcially long waiting period (6-8 weeks) for first delivery.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If Apple starts using second rate celery chips in the smaller products like the Mini, and iBook, you people will be crying all freaking day long about how you should have a Pentium M in the MacMIni, and all that crap.

What do you want, the Mac to be cheaper, and cheaply built at the same time. If that's what you wanted you shiuld have bought a PC in the first place.

Who knows waht Apple is going to do? This intel thing has it's up's, and downs.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I am not worried about getting a Mac with an Intel chip for less money, and I think the prices will stay the same, but the systems will be faster.