Intel's dual-core "Yonah" chip could carry PowerBooks beyond 2GHz

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A higher-performance, dual-core version of Intel's Pentium M processor due early next year is a likely candidate to boost Apple's PowerBook line of notebook computers beyond the 2GHz milestone.

The chip, code-named "Yonah," is due to begin showing up in Windows-based systems in the first quarter of 2006 -- a few months before Apple is expected to roll-out its first Intel-based Macs.

Initially, dual-core versions of Yonah will be available in four flavors, ranging from 1.66GHz to 2.16GHz, each with a 667MHz front side bus. A single core 1.66GHz version of Yonah is also reportedly in the works.

According to DigiTimes, 1000-unit lots of the dual core chips will wholesale between US$241 on the low-end and US$637 for the top-of-the-line 2.16GHz model. It's possible that Apple, which will likely purchase several hundred thousand of the chips, will be able to obtain them at a further reduced cost.

Yonah will also represent Intel?s transition from 90nm technology to a 65nm process and is expected to become the gemstone of Napa -- the company's dual-core notebook platform and third generation Centrino bundle. However, the chip will be approximately 70% smaller than the original Centrino chip set, requiring significantly less board space.

At a press conference last Thursday, Intel said the chip's twin cores will increase multitasking performance in notebook-based systems, but also help extend battery life. A feature called Dynamic Power Coordination will allow Yonah's two cores to be power-managed independently, making it possible to shut down one of the cores to aid in power consumption. It will also allow for on-the-fly changes to the chip's voltage and frequency, the company said.

Another major feature of Yonah is Digital Media Boost, a dual-part update delivering improvements to the chips SSE instructions for multimedia and Floating Point unit. Together, Intel says the updates will improve everything from digital photo manipulation to video editing, gaming, and music.

Yonah will also sport a new shared memory 2MB level 2 cache, dubbed "Smart Cache," which will keep data in close proximity to the processor cores for faster access. This feature is a prime component of Yonah's enhanced power management because it allows a single core to access the chip's entire memory cache when the other core is switched off.

It's believed that 32-bit Yonah chip will also be used in compact Apple desktop design, like the Mac mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 119
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    yonah gets better and better the more i hear about it

with portables poised to have a higher and higher share of the market... apple is definitely in a position to dominate, with the killer OS of course... but also because most companies simply use ass reference designs that aren't really optimized and not at all sexy.
  • Reply 2 of 119
    Yonah gives me a bonah!
  • Reply 3 of 119
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    It looks like Apple will now be able to provide a clear separation between the iBooks (single-core) and PowerBooks (dual-core). I am sure there will be other differences, but I hope Apple will not cripple the iBooks just to widen the gap between the two lines.
  • Reply 4 of 119
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

It looks like Apple will now be able to provide a clear separation between the iBooks (single-core) and PowerBooks (dual-core). I am sure there will be other differences, but I hope Apple will not cripple the iBooks just to widen the gap between the two lines.

My guess is that the iBook will bet a Celeron-M (the somewhat stripped down version of Yonah).
  • Reply 4 of 119
    Initially, dual-core versions Yonah will be available in four flavors, ranging from 1.66GHz to 2.16GHz, each with a 667MHz front side bus. A single core 1.66GHz version of Yonah is also reportedly in the works.

1.66GHz to 2.16GHz ? isnt that a bit slow for 2006?
  • Reply 6 of 119
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Moscow

Initially, dual-core versions Yonah will be available in four flavors, ranging from 1.66GHz to 2.16GHz, each with a 667MHz front side bus. A single core 1.66GHz version of Yonah is also reportedly in the works.

I don't know. A dual core version of a chip that at 2.5 Ghz keeps up with a P4 3.6 Ghz with 2MB cache and an Athlon FX-55, should keep users relatively happy.
  • Reply 7 of 119
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Yonah will also represent Intel?s transition from 90nm technology to a 65nm process and is expected to become the gemstone of Napa -- the company's dual-core notebook platform and third generation Centrino bundle. However, the chip will be approximately 70% smaller than the original Centrino chip set, requiring significantly less board space.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

70% smaller?!!!

Wow, how big was it to begin with? Small is good, particularly for Apple's design standards. Their wording is a little odd. They call it a "chip" and then refer to Centrino "chip set" in the same sentence. Which are we talking about the physical cpu chip or the whole chip set which generally means the mainboard?
  • Reply 8 of 119
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    One thing is sure : when Apple will ship a Yonah powerbook with a mobility radeon 800XT, I will be one of the first to order one. A dual core Yonah chip at 1,66 ghz will kick the ass of my G4 1 ghz powerbook with geforce 4 mx for sure.
  • Reply 9 of 119
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Wouldn't Yonah be too expensive for a Mac mini?

Also, keep in mind that this is not a P4 - it's architecture is much better and more efficient. That's why a 2.5 GHz (overclocked) Pentium M can beat an Athlon FX-55.

Also, note the statement on Tomshardware.com:

"The Pentium 4 Must Go (alternatively: Kill The Pentium 4!)"

That saying something!
  • Reply 10 of 119
    jarodsixjarodsix Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Just to remind you that GHz doesn't equal performance. Two cores do more than one, faster bus allows for more throughput.
  • Reply 11 of 119
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    The report seems to indicate that Yonah is a 32-bit chip. Does it also come in a 64-bit flavor?
  • Reply 12 of 119
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

70% smaller?!!!

Wow, how big was it to begin with? Small is good, particularly for Apple's design standards. Their wording is a little odd. They call it a "chip" and then refer to Centrino "chip set" in the same sentence. Which are we talking about the physical cpu chip or the whole chip set which generally means the mainboard?

Centrino is a trademark name for the CPU and system ASICs, the platform. The ASICs are nice little integrated chips that include wireless, audio, graphics, and other I/O.

The 70% is for the difference between the 130 nm Banias/Centrino platform and the 65 nm Yonah/Napa platform. Going from 130 nm to 65 nm results in a 75% reduction in chip size for equal amounts of transistors.

Since Yonah has nearly 3 times the transistors that Banias has, that 70% really doesn't apply to the CPU. The system ASIC could see a 70% reduction in size, but I doubt that too.

However, since the platform has everything integrated into 3 chips (including graphics, audio, and wireless), it will allow for some very petite board designs.
  • Reply 13 of 119
    pdubyupdubyu Posts: 13member
    The Pentium Ms at half the Pentium 4 clock speeds are really competitive workwise.

I'm going to scoop up a mini with one of these babies as soon as they are available. It's going to finally be the solution to playing HD MPEG4 AVC on the current G4 computers.
  • Reply 14 of 119
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

70% smaller?!!!

The Centrino brand refers to Intel's mobile technology. The Pentium M processor is part of that, as are their wireless networking doohickeys. Yonah refers specifically to the processor. I think the current Pentium M is code named Banias or maybe Dothan. Intel has more codenames than I care to learn.

edit: beaten
  • Reply 15 of 119
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Refer to "Megahertz Myth".

667MHz FSB... the PowerMac G5's use a 400MHz bus to memory.

This machine is going to scream.
  • Reply 16 of 119
    Sorry.....missed the comment above w/link to the benchmarks.
  • Reply 17 of 119
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Can I point out two things?

1) This is the first thread about Intel chips where the Mac community here has been drooling. We would have found ways to slag it off or ignore it before.

2) Me too. Our Macs will still be Macs. It feels good.
  • Reply 18 of 119
    And thus the reason for Apple's switch. The future of the Pentium M is great whereas IBM has been having tons of problems with low voltage G5s that could possibly go into a laptop. Beside concerns over IBM's supply issues, this is likely the biggie. IBM will still turn out some great desktop chips. This is why the PowerMac will move last. I wouldn't be surprised if the mini, iBook, and Powerbook are the first Apple's offered with Intel chips. The Intels would offer big performance increased for the portables and the mini will likely still share with the iBook.
  • Reply 19 of 119
    pdubyupdubyu Posts: 13member
    Harald,

Nice catch. Good points.

I'm drooling b/c I was always promised speed (68040, 604e, G4, G5, etc) but it was never delivered consistently. With Intel we get a public roadmap and a sure and steady ship (as far as the PC processor market goes).

Not too hot, not too cold... I feel like Goldilocks
  • Reply 20 of 119
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pdubyu

Harald,

Nice catch. Good points.

I'm drooling b/c I was always promised speed (68040, 604e, G4, G5, etc) but it was never delivered consistently. With Intel we get a public roadmap and a sure and steady ship (as far as the PC processor market goes).

Not too hot, not too cold... I feel like Goldilocks

Not to put a damper on things...but both Moto and IBM looked like winners at the time too.

It's nice to drool, but perhaps we should temper our excitement until it ships.