Linksys Router to Airport connection

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everybody -

I have a powerbook Titanium 400Mhz, with Panther 10.3.9 and airport. Connecting to the router Linksys WRT54g without encryption works fine, but with WEP 128 bit Hex it doesn't work. Either the Password is incorrect, or I get an association (signal strength), but no internet access - (in the network preferences at the bottom it says "authentication..." and the weel keeps turning and turning...) adding a "$" sign, and entering the password in hex doesn't help either.

I asked the Linksys support, but they don't provide support for the mac!

We are 4 people sharing the access. The others are windows users.

Is there another encryption that might work better? Or some firmware upgrade for the router or my airport card?

Thanks for any help!

schnellbaer from Berlin, Germany

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    I couldn't get airport to work with my router (same model) with encryption on unless it was WPA pre-shared key TKIP algos. I don't know if i could have gotten it to work otherwise, but just from fooling around with it, that's the only way i could get it to work. Good luck, let me know if you can get any of the other encryption settings to work.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tomj: Thanx for your feedback. I'll try "your" encryption.

Maybe I'll buy a new Powerbook... Might the new Airport Extreme cards work better? Or would OS 10.4 solve the problem?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    For WEP on Linksys, try adding the characters "0x" (that's zero-x without the quotes) in front of your WEP hex string (so the new string to enter would be 0x followed by 26 characters of WEP hex, or 28 characters total).

Also, make sure that, if the Linksys is set up to restrict wireless users by MAC address, that your PowerBook's MAC address is included on the list within the Linksys admin utility.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Linksys/Cisco stincks with Macinstosh support. You can't even upgrade the firmware on them using any MacOS. Return it and buy another brand if you can.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Linksys/Cisco stincks with Macinstosh support. You can't even upgrade the firmware on them using any MacOS. Return it and buy another brand if you can.

That's incorrect. While there are some Linksys products that require Windows to upgrade firmware, the WRT54G isn't one of them. Its firmware is upgraded via a browser, and Safari is supported.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

That's incorrect. While there are some Linksys products that require Windows to upgrade firmware, the WRT54G isn't one of them. Its firmware is upgraded via a browser, and Safari is supported.

agreed. the linksys party-line is that macs are not supported, but they do work, and the first versions wroked fine, but every firmware update has caused problems alongside fixing others. it's been very frustrating. i have held onto my hardware because i can't afford different hardware right now, and they FINALLY updated firmware for my raneg expander so that it doesn't go dead when i upgrade the firmware in my main router.

someday i'm going all apple-airport all the way. just not yet.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    What are the actual dangers of being online without encryption. If I do my banking over the net with SSL oder what ever secure website a bank offers, is a non-encrypted connection like not locking your bike in the city?

schnellbaer
  • Reply 8 of 9
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The encryption is to prevent others from using your internet access. If you live in an apartment building, most people around you would be able to use your internet account to surf and even get into your computer or use your printers if you don't have your firewall on. If you live or have your access location out where no one else can use ( out in the country or have about 150 feet between you and your neighbors) then there is no reason to have encrytion on.

reg
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by tomj

I couldn't get airport to work with my router (same model) with encryption on unless it was WPA pre-shared key TKIP algos. I don't know if i could have gotten it to work otherwise, but just from fooling around with it, that's the only way i could get it to work. Good luck, let me know if you can get any of the other encryption settings to work.

hi tomj - I finally got it to work with WEP. I use a password that only has 13 digits! ... Let me know if you need more details...

Best wishes,

schnellbaer