Spotlight can't find things :(

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why is it that spotlight doesn't find files that I know exist. Isn't it supposed to be realtime updating?

Has anyone else noticed this? Also how come spotlight does not find photos in iLife? To me this seems so simple, but it does not see the keywords or comments on the photos...very frustrating.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Um...it works for me...and it works for keywords and comments in iPhoto and iLife. You might try a clean install of the OS if you have time.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Thats what I did, I always do a clean install.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    It sounds like you should head on down to Mac OS X Hints and read all their tips on Spotlight. It'll take you a while, probably about the same amount of time as to re-install the OS, but you'll be a Spotlight expert.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I have spotlight problems too. (and have tried all of the tricks at macosxhints.)

I simply think there are still big bugs in Spotlight.

Do a google search for an app called Highlight. It helps since it will allow you to force index anything.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    i'm also having problems with spotlight...it doesn't look for the spotlight comments...but a friend of mine who owns an ibook doesn't have problems...it works fine on his machinee.....
  • Reply 6 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by basurita20

i'm also having problems with spotlight...it doesn't look for the spotlight comments...but a friend of mine who owns an ibook doesn't have problems...it works fine on his machinee.....

My spotlight finds too much. I can even find stuff that is in other people's home directories that I don't have read permission to view.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by basurita20

Mine looks for comments just fine so I dotn kno what the deal is with yours. What computer do you have? Also, you might try looking in the spotlight settings to see what it is indexing.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

My spotlight finds too much. I can even find stuff that is in other people's home directories that I don't have read permission to view.

Cancel that - I was wrong. Spotlight was indexing a backup of the users directory that I had stored on my iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Yah I tried all the tips and it still isnt working right...

There is a file on the desktop and I can type it in and it just cant find it.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Mine looks for comments just fine so I dotn kno what the deal is with yours. What computer do you have? Also, you might try looking in the spotlight settings to see what it is indexing.

i'm running osx 10.4.1 with my g4 ibook...and i've looked at preferences, but everything looks fine...

i'll do a fresh instalation of the os to see if that solves the problem....